How Much Should I Pay?

randomguy

Reaction score
Hello to all. I am just wondering how much everyone paid for their M Bodies? I hate to ask but, just curious since I'm considering the purchase of a 86-89 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. Just wondering what the average paid for a nice one is vs mileage, year, color, etc. Anyways, just curious so I know what to expect to pay. Thank you in advance.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I paid $600 for my Fifth about five years ago.
Even then that was cheap....needed minor work.
I see descent ones ranging from $1500 and up.
Seems to be the ballpark these days.
If you're not familiar with these cars there are key things you should be looking at. If you're looking at something feel free to ask any questions and we should be able to help steer you right.

randomguy

Reaction score
Thank you. So, what all should I look for on a Fifth Avenue? I'm thinking of selling a vehicle of mine and using a Fifth as a cheaper daily for myself. I was thinking $2000-$2500 should buy a nice one. Thank you in advance.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm sure others will help by chiming in but here's my two cents.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the buying old cars racquet so I'll be general....if it's been sitting then things will no doubt need to be addressed. At the very least a full tune up, filters, fluids, brakes, shocks, etc.

When inspecting you want to pay close attention to the frame and floors....depending on their lives they have a tenancy to rot up by the front frame rails (these cars are unibodies....not body on frame). There are gems out there but also lemons.

If you give us a rough idea on your level of knowledge of these oldies it'll be easier to help you out. Also if we know your location we might even be able to point you to a few for sale...

Last edited:

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I paid $600 for mine as well a year ago, it also needed a fair amout of work. I had all of my mechanics certificates at one point so I wasn't afraid to dig into it myself, after new tires and parts, it was still probably under $1,500 all told, add another $1,000 or so if you had to pay labor, and you're probably about in the right ballpark..

Master M

Reaction score
Hello and Welcome. I would suggest, depending on where you live to look for a car in the dryer climates of the country. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run. Having a car inspected and shipped could be a consideration. No matter where you buy it, inspect it well and ask a lot of questions. These cars usually don't sell quick, and you should use that to your advantage in negotiating price, and taking ample time to inspect. Post close up pictures here and we can assist in questioning the car you are looking at. Take your time and be as patient as possible.

randomguy

Reaction score
Thank you all. I was thinking of looking further south anyways. I'm thinking KY, TN, GA since I'm in in Indiana. Anyways, I'm hoping $2500 will get me a good one. Not looking for any really serious projects. Just something to run and go. Anyways, thank you again and we'll see how everything plays out.

randomguy

Reaction score
Thank you for the link. The price is good but, the distance is far away and I'm still swaying toward a Fifth Avenue over the other M-Bodies. Thank you.

lowbudget

Reaction score
2000 -3000 for a dry climate peach. I flew into Phoenix, bought mine from furyfrank and drove mine home. The car in the link Captain posted is pretty nice as I saw it in person. It would be mine if I didn't already have my quota of Mopars.

randomguy

Reaction score
Thank you. I was thinking $2,500 would buy one ready to go pretty much. If I would buy one I'd think I buy from the S/SE United States since that is the best option for me. Need to sell another vehicle first though.

Back