How to Refurb Bumper Filler

Justwondering

Reaction score
Course there isn probably a more appropriate name, but I need to know if anyone has rehabbed the plastic filler between the bumper and the grill.

Mine seems to fit tight in the center, but there is a large gap on either edge.
No Gap
IMG_3021.jpg

Gap
IMG_3022.jpg

Gap on the left under the lights and above the bumper but no gap in the center under the grill but above the bumper.
IMG_3020.jpg

There is a silver edging that goes over this filler piece, but it won't make the gap decrease.

How do I get the plastic piece to have an even gap all the way across?

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I have the same problem.
Although I've never tried it myself.....a body guy I know told me you can carefully heat it up with a heat gun till it falls flat and even. Then you immediately hit it with a sponge with ice cold water.

Again I've never tried this but I've heard that elsewhere too.
The only problem I can see is the filler wouldn't retain the gap it has from the bumper unless you could use some kind of spacer.

I would imagine it's a delicate balance getting it heated just right without going too far.

That is the only solution I can really think of though.
Those fillers almost always do that.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
On my last M, I simply glued the plastic down to the bumper using Gator Glue. I replaced the fading chrome edge using push-on door-edge protector. It's cheap, and comes in black or chrome. Fix=$15.

80LeBaron14.jpg

80LeBaron14.jpg

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Use two-part epoxy or Gator Glue (follow directions about wetting surfaces!) -- Tape it down real good, and WAIT!

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
You should see the way they get all twisted up in the heat here in Phoenix, especially if they are off the car.
I have "corrected" the warp with heat...reshape gently...hold and cool. May have to try it on my wagons rear filler this winter. Its getting curly on the ends.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Trim it and move the bumper in. Saw it on an M coupe at mopar nationals..didn't realize it till he pointed it out.

brotherGood

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1439864666577_zpswk76cvv1.jpg

I don't think there's enough left to warp. He did that because it had warped really bad.

Last edited:

gporeilly

Reaction score
I fixed the curl on the plastic by using 2-sided 3M tape. I simply cut a length of the tape the width of the plastic from side to side and the removed the backing of one side of the tape...inserted it in the seam so it couldn't be seen and pressed the plastic trim piece down adhering the tape. Remove the other paper backing and press down on the trim piece which of course adheres the other side of the tape. Press down firmly the length of the trim piece from side to side...
I did mine 2 years ago and still firmly attached with no gap.
Recommend the 1/2" width 2-sided tape and definitely the 3M brand as it has the strongest adhesive. Absolutely perfect and simple permanent fix.

Back