I got smarter today thanks to a tip from wylde1

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I know what this is about now...

The Cordoba was downsized for the 1980 model year. The new smaller model used the J-platform that dated back to the 1976 Plymouth Volaré and was twinned up with the newly-named but very similar Dodge Mirada. Chrysler also revived the Imperial for 1981 as a third variant of the J-platform.
The Cordoba and Mirada now had a standard six-cylinder engine (the 225 Slant Six) that, while very reliable, did not seem to be suitable power for these slightly upmarket coupes. The much-detuned 318 cu in (5.2 L) V8 was an option (standard on the Imperial), as the 360 cu in (5.9 L) V8 was dropped.[6]
220px-%2780-%2781_Chrysler_Cordoba_LS_%28Orange_Julep%29.jpg

1981 Chrysler Cordoba LS

The 1980 and 1981 LS model featured an aerodynamic nosecone with "crosshair" grille. Other features of this model were the deletion of the vinyl roof cover and a monotone color exterior.
The second-generation Cordoba's styling did not attract the praise of the original, and sales were off substantially. The industry downsizing of vehicles also affected the personal luxury models. Both the Chevrolet Monte Carlo in 1978 and the 1980 Ford Thunderbird shrank in size and sales simultaneously. However, those models eventually recovered as their makers moved to correct their cars' flaws, while the smaller Cordoba never did. Chrysler was increasingly concentrating on its compact, front wheel drive models with four and six-cylinder engines, and management stopped producing the Cordoba in 1983.
Powertrains

Only two engines were available with the Slant-6 being standard and the 318 cu in (5.2 L) V8 optional.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Cordoba J Body

Production1980–1983

PlatformJ-bodyEngine
225 cu in (3.7 L) Slant 6 I6
318 cu in (5.2 L)
LA V8Transmission
3-speed A904 automatic
Wheelbase
112.7 in (2,860 mm)[5]Length209.8 in (5,330 mm) (1980)
210.1 in (5,340 mm) (1981)
209.6 in (5,320 mm) (LS)Width72.7 in (1,850 mm)Height53.3 in (1,350 mm) (1980/81)
53.2 in (1,350 mm) (1982-)
Curb weight
3,446 lb (1,563 kg) (1980/81)
3,460 lb (1,569 kg) (1982)
3,467 lb (1,573 kg) (1983)
3,389 lb (1,537 kg) (LS 1981/82)
3,404 lb (1,544 kg) (LS 1983)

Dodgestrike

Reaction score
Just to add some info in Mexico the 360 4barrel was offered with 727 transmision.

ramenth

Reaction score
The industry downsizing of vehicles also affected the personal luxury models. Both the Chevrolet Monte Carlo in 1978 and the 1980 Ford Thunderbird shrank in size and sales simultaneously. However, those models eventually recovered as their makers moved to correct their cars' flaws, while the smaller Cordoba never did. Chrysler was increasingly concentrating on its compact, front wheel drive models with four and six-cylinder engines, and management stopped producing the Cordoba in 1983.
Powertrains

Still a better car than the Versailles or the Cimmeron.

The one thing which jumped out at me in this article is the death of the rear wheel drive cars.

I get some of the reasons. With all the emissions controls and tighter CAFE standards it was easier to get a 4 cylinder to breath with the tighter restrictions.

But one thing a lot of folks don't think about is Iaccoca. The Omni/Horizon and the K-cars helped pull the company from the brink of disaster. The FWD were hugely successful, especially with the oil embargo still fresh in everyone's minds.

But let's take a look at some of Iaccoca's own ideas concerning the company. He stated once that people didn't want RWD cars. Yet the Fox body Mustang was popular and the new for the '80's F-body GM products were selling.

Iaccoca took the K-car and modified it for all the platforms. The Caravan? A modified K-car. The Daytona? A modified K-car. From a dollar and cents standpoint this made sense. But the American people were still buying the Thunderbird, the Continental, the de Villes, the Mustang, the Camaro.

Basically what kept the Chrysler rear wheel drive platform going was fleet sales and the 5th Ave. There were certain circles that if you didn't own a 5th Ave, but had a Caddy or a Lincoln you were laughed at. (I have anecdotal information on this one.)

But Iaccoca's own philosophy of no rear wheel drive's kept the engineers at bay from fixing some of the issues the platform was having, especially those that the fleets were experiencing, such as the shock tower issue on the K-frame. With Ford and GM making large head way into the cop market this draw back was holding the entire platform back to it's biggest customers.

Even though the Daytona was a strong performance competitor to it's RWD counterparts, there were many who looked at the 4 banger FWD platform as not as strong as the V8 RWD. Chrysler lost some customers who were previously buying the F-body upgraded models, and before that the A, B, and E-body models to the competition. The RWD's were experiencing less tranny issues and the old school back yard mechanics found them easier to mod.

He also reluctantly allowed a re-skin of the Rams. The truck was virtually untouched since 1972. Trucks were seen as work vehicles, even though GM and Ford were producing trucks in a different way with sales to back it up. Don't get me wrong, I love the '80s Dodge trucks, but the hot rod status of the Fords and the car interior styling of GM was leaving Dodge in the dust. He did nothing to overcome that, considering trucks to be a niche market.

Sorry for the rant, but where a lot of folks insist that Iaccoca was a god amongst men, I don't see it that way. Yes, his financial savvy was good, but some of the things he brought to Chrysler helped damage it's reputation, too. The K-car was getting the reputation of being junk, he eliminated the company's largest buyers. He had a habit of telling the American buyer what they wanted, instead of listening to what the American people were saying. It's something all the car companies have pretty much been doing since, with the exception of a few.

CMX360

Reaction score
In 1980 only the E58 360 4bbl (same engine used in 1979 300) was an option for Miradas (single exhaust). Some of the pre-production Miradas given out to reviewers had factory duals (must have had a different gas tank?). From what I can find only 74 total were built/ordered. A rough red one was on ebay last year. I spoke to a guy who claimed to own a super clean T-Top one. He said it would be up on ebay this year. Also in California the 318s had 4bbls. Something to do with Cali emissions laws.

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
In 1980 only the E58 360 4bbl (same engine used in 1979 300) was an option for Miradas (single exhaust). Some of the pre-production Miradas given out to reviewers had factory duals (must have had a different gas tank?). From what I can find only 74 total were built/ordered. A rough red one was on ebay last year. I spoke to a guy who claimed to own a super clean T-Top one. He said it would be up on ebay this year. Also in California the 318s had 4bbls. Something to do with Cali emissions laws.

If the original posted info is coming from AllPar, some of there information is sorely lacking about the F/J/M platform. Often confusing and contradictory, too.

CMX360

Reaction score
Just about everyone gets their facts wrong about J's in some way or another (and I think Allpar gets a lot of their info from those people). I get my info from Chrysler parts books, magazine articles / reviews from the 80's, and original dealership literature. Plus I've had 8 of the things from all 4 years of production and I've gone over every inch of them.

And a good example of people getting it wrong is that the Imperial was not technically a J. It was a Y. They really were a different beast. Sadly I have yet to get my hands on one.

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Just about everyone gets their facts wrong about J's in some way or another (and I think Allpar gets a lot of their info from those people). I get my info from Chrysler parts books, magazine articles / reviews from the 80's, and original dealership literature. Plus I've had 8 of the things from all 4 years of production and I've gone over every inch of them.

Which is the best sources you can find. The kid, 81Crown, has started buying literature on his car to be able to find out more about it. Seems that even the so-called experts have a hard time pinning down his car exactly and he wants to know.

Ollywood

Reaction score
Personally I think Lee Iaccoca was the man who saved Chrysler. Since the take over in 1998 Chrysler has never been the same. daimler did their damage and give it time fiat will do the same.

When Iaccoca was around partial ownership of Lambo and a deal with Maserati. The Viper made production.

IMO Chrylser needs an Iaccoca again to run the show and go back to being an American Company.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
American?
Wasn't Iaccocca the guy who started dropping mitsubishi based engines in Chrysler's?
Sorry man, I agree with Robert and Eric.
He might of made nice with the bankers but he gutted Chrysler.
Mind you so did Benz.
The glory days are gone.

Last edited:
Back