Interior lights/dome light

Camtron

Reaction score
When I left work Saturday morning, I noticed none of my interior lights turned on when I opened my door.
Fuses are all fine, haven’t started checking bulbs yet but, I was curious if someone knew if the circuit for the interior lights was wired in such a fashion were if one bulb burns out, they all go out or if I have a open short I need to track down.

Thanks for any input.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
One bulb will not affect any other bulbs from operating (on automobiles).

Before looking too far, rotate your headlight dimmer switch to mid position and see if that helps.
If you rotate it fully to one position, it will cause your inside lights to come on/stay on. Then full the other direction, it will prevent your inside lights from operating.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I assume your car has the door jamb switch (?) They complete the ground ckt when the door is opened. Try fiddling with the plunger, or maybe the wire came unhooked from the switch. The switch is he most common cause of interior lights not coming on with the door. They do work with the headlight rheostat? See if they work from the right side door.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I've never tried but never heard of turning the headlight switch shutting off the the interior lights, I've always pulled the fuse if a door was going to be open for a while.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I might be thinking about my newer vehicles. I can't keep up with what vehicle does what . . .

Camtron

Reaction score
I still haven’t had time to take another look. Wife has been in the hospital the last couple days, was trying to keep my mind occupied while sitting in her room.
The headlights/running lights come on like normal, dash lights come on and can use the dimmer control on the light switch to raise and lower brightness of dash lights but no door, dome, map or vanity mirror lights, even if I turn the light switch all the way counterclockwise past the brightest position for the dash lights. Can feel the switch click into position nice and firm like it always has.
I did check all the door switches Saturday morning. Nothing sticking and lights don’t come on regardless of what door I opened.
Anyone happen to know what fuse they’d be on? Dome light fuse tested good as well as any of the other fuses labeled for lights.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
They're on the same fuse as dome light. I.forget which one without seeing it but it's a yellow one. A bunch of other things are on that fuse so you usually notice if it blows.

Camtron

Reaction score
Hmmm. The plot thickens.
We’re about to get discharged so, once I have the wife settled at home, I’ll go back out to the garage and breakout my, PowerProbe to double check fuses and shorts and the like.
I’ll keep ya’ll posted.

Camtron

Reaction score
Made it out to the garage this afternoon. The 20amp fuse in the #16 Accessory slot was the culprit. Now why it blew; no idea. Everything is working like it should with a new fuse installed, don’t smell melting wires or anything.
Intermittent electrical issues are the worst.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Just don't install a fuse rated at a higher amperage than what should be in that slot. If you do, then the risk of having a bad day (ie: expensive open flame cookout) will be great.
If the fuse installed is at rated capacity then even if you have a direct short somewhere, you shouldn't have to worry about the last sentence.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Over 37 years of being an auto tech I've found that sometimes fuses can open (blow) for no apparent reason. Once the circuits the fuse feeds are checked and pass, a new fuse is put in and 10 years later, the same fuse is still in there.

Camtron

Reaction score
I had done a quick check of fuses with my PowerProbe and checked a few of the know circuits powered by the fuse with a Load Pro and everything tested just swell. Unless it’s my glovebox light or electric trunk release (or something else I’m unaware of in the circuit), everything seems just ship shape.
I replaced the fuse with another 20amp fuse, what I pulled out and what’s installed in the other accessory and light positions in the fuse box.
Time will tell.

Back