Just a reminder: Look your stuff over once in a while...

Bryan M.

Reaction score
This last weekend was my Imperial's long-distance shakedown and introduction to the wife, who flew in from Kentucky for Spring Break. All was going very well right up until we were leaving. After GoodGuys Scottsdale, we went to the Pavillions for the cruise...which someone forgot to mention was cancelled. We left, heading up the 101 Loop at about 85-ish MPH (speedometer only goes to 85?! That sucks...)

About Bell Rd., I go to make a steering correction and I end up having to put in over 110 degrees of input in order for the car to move. Panicked, I slow down, get off the highway and into a parking lot and call a friend.

Upon jacking up the car, it was discovered that the castle nut and cotter pin that holds the Pitman arm into the steering linkage was AWOL and that just 1/4" of the shaft was still in the linkage.

If you haven't given your car the once over, do it. I had looked mine over, and it was looked over by a shop that had put in the driver's side outer tie rod. Just because it's there doesn't mean it will be long.

PST will be getting a call from me next paycheck,

Erics5th

Reaction score
Don't think I need to tell you this: You know your damn lucky right? Brakes, suspension and tires are more important than going fast. Glad it worked out for the best for you. Make sure you tighten the nut to the pitman arm properly. If I remember right, if you hit the proper torque and the cotter pin hole is not visible through the castle nut, you tighten the nut until the hole in the shaft is visible.

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Oh, I know how lucky I am...believe me. This was an anomaly like none other...I am OCD to a fault when it comes to suspension and I do not do my own brakes...just don't trust myself. This was completely unexplainable, and there was absolutely no indication that something was wrong (no shudder, tramming, drifting, etc.)...if I hadn't spun the wheel I'd have never known. Especially after dragging that thing out of a field, I was looking all suspension over.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Yeah, I torqued every nut and bolt to factory spec. on my front end. Most shops only use impacts and their torque specs can be all over the scale! Glad you guys were safe!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Wow! Very glad to hear you guys are fine.
Hmmm...think I'm gonna crawl under my Fifth today.
Thanks for the advice.

Back