K-car brake booster question

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I’m trying to install Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers on my 318, and they hit the brake booster. I’m pretty sure I read that a K-car booster will bolt up with some modifications to where the petal connects. But I just wanted to make sure that the bolt pattern is the same for the firewall and the master cylinder as the stock fifth avenue booster. Thanks in advance.

80mirada

Reaction score
I used one for a 1984 Dodge Daytona. You will need some 8mm x 1.25 nuts and some washers. The studs have an extended unthreaded area since K-cars used a composite pedal mount instead of steel.

88_AHB

Reaction score
I had the same issue with those valve covers. I installed the K car booster with the M body master. Clears the covers just fine now. Did have to use metric nuts as mentioned in here.I also had to use a bushing to take some of the slop where the brake pedal stud meets up with the rod from the booster.

Aspen500

Reaction score
A couple posts in the link explain the bushing needed at the pushrod. I would imagine the K booster has metric mounting studs. I haven't done any of this, my car has always had manual brakes. Power would be nice but at this point, I'm just tossing the idea around of whether to do it or not. I've got an RB big block with cast covers and the K car booster would clear everything but adding power brakes vs just swapping from one booster to the other is more of a job.

volare 77

Reaction score
What is the story on the bushing? Do all mopars use them? Manual and power brakes?

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks for all the info everyone. Looks like I’ll be getting a new booster soon...

slant6billy

Reaction score
Check the thread from earlier in September. Shaving the space is a good couple of inches to clear that big valve cover. I'm happy with the swap. You'll get very comfy under that dash, so a small foam pad makes it easy as you lay on your right shoulder.

Back