Looking for a little guidence

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
So my buddy just picked up a 79 st regis and the wiring harness is a complete mess. it has a what looks to be a period correct msd ignition box and some other msd parts as well. We started diving into the factory harness and found good portions of the harness completely melted together. We have either 2 choices, pull the harness out to condense it down and hopefully salvage the good wiring and maybe mend some of the melted wiring if necessary or try to hunt down a factory original that's in better shape than what's in there. The only question i have is, what shares the same engine harness as the r body cars? possibly something out of a b body?
Let me know,
Thanks in advance.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I don't know for sure but,,,,,,,,,,I would think a late '70's B-body would be close enough to work with some modifications if needed. Aren't B and R bodies relatively close to being the same? Looking at a photo of the engine compartment of a '79 Cordoba vs. a '79 St. Regis and they appear identical. Of course the next snafu is finding a late '70's Cordoba or other b-body to use as a donor.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If you're not running stock ignition make your own harness. There's not much wiring you need. Oil and temp, the blue power wire for choke and maybe one or two other things is pretty much it. I forget now if the alternator and AC wiring is part of the engine harness but I don't think it is.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
The a/c harness wasnt, the alternator is. Its a 2 wire setup like our cars. I kind of figured that's what was going to happen with the harness. At this point id would get rid of the ignition box and go with one of those all in one hei distributors like I bought for my car, but then again this car isn't mine. Thanks for the input guys.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Stupid question, for those running a ready to run style distributor, what are you using for powering the ignition coil. It just dawned on me last night between my car that im also doing the harness on and my buddy's st regis?

Back