Lug Nut Options

Justwondering

Reaction score
I have decided that for Valentines Day I'd like to have lug nuts for the Fifth Avenue.

So I am asking for your opinion on which type of lugnut to order.

McGard was recommended and they have several styles. Spline wrench, regular socket, locking, tuner, black, chrome, etc. etc.

I'll be keeping the snowflakes for now.

I can definitely pick out the best chocolate; however, I need some advice selecting the best lug nut.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I think our cars use 1/2" X 20 threaded nuts. If you are going to use them with the snowflakes, the they need to be either cones or bulge type (preferably bulge), closed end nuts. The open ended nuts are fine beneath hub caps/wheel covers, where the hub cap/wheel cover can keep water and salt off the open ends of the nuts and wheel bolts. The rest of it is up to you, but on all cars that use exposed nuts, I use hex nuts that fit the factory lug wrench when possible. I also like to use one locking lug nut per wheel. Again, I try to use a locking nut key that works with the factory lug wrench. Seeing as you will be needing a locking lug nut wrench key anyway, I suppose the lock can be the spline type, personal choice. Brand is up to you, but my experience has been that the McGard nuts are the only ones that don't end up rusting over time. I think they do something with their chrome plating that the other companies don't. Don't ask me what it is, but I have never seen McGard nuts rust, and that includes in Montreal, a city that very easily could be the road salt capital of the world.

The practical reason for using nuts/keys that fit the factory lug nut wrench is that I don't want to carry a second wrench, the factory wrench can be put away in the factory location, and it is the right size for using on the factory screw jack for raising/lowering the car.

Also, if you do get a locking lug nut, it wi a good idea to get a spare.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'd stay away from the non-hex style nuts. The others are fine and dandy until,,,,,,,,,,,the special socket breaks or gets lost, etc........JMO

Aspen500

Reaction score
I had a hell of time trying to find chrome closed end lug nuts in 1/2-20 locally. Found everything but. Finally ended up ordering them from Summit. Eventually, I want to swap to the stock style repo ones. Why? Just because.

Back