M body as daily driver?

Reaction score
I am considering buying an M body (more specific a late model Chrysler 5th Avenue/Dodge Diplomat/ Plymouth Gran Fury to start) for daily driving, about 12K miles per year. It would be a part time commuter and part time show car, for now. It might replace my 2006 Dodge Charger in this role. I always liked the M bodies and my favorites are the 78-79 Lebaron and Diplomat coupes. I want to start with something a little easier to drive daily and to find parts for. I also want something I can put miles on and not worry about ruining a classic older car. I can buy an older M body if I wanted a dedicated classic to show later on. I will loose some gas mileage, but I think the up keep might be cheaper. (Some of the required maintenance on the newer Chargers has to be done at the dealer, etc.) I want to get my feet wet with an older Mopar. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions? How is it living with an M body these days? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking for an M body I can live with and drive for now. Thanks! :icon_biggrin:

efriedrich

Reaction score
Great cars, I have had one as my dd for three years.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My 87 5th has been my daily for two years now.
Easily racked up 25,000 trouble free miles.
Stay on top of the maintenance and your golden.

When I got mine I did plugs, wires, rotor and cap
Tires and fluids.
That's it.
Been running like a champ ever since and has NEVER let me down once.

M's are dynamite daily's.

Erics5th

Reaction score
My 5th served me reliably for 30K miles of daily use. Only problem I had was with the distributer bushings wearing out, causing hard/intermitent starting problems. Half hour fix (once I figured out what the h*ll it was). It helped I started with a low mile car (89K when I bought it). Like the DR said, you can get them for cheap. Only paid $750 for mine.

Atram

Reaction score
My lebaron's 360 4 barrel has never once failed me in the entire decade the car has been in my family, so I would say they're pretty reliable

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My 5th has been my daily for two years now
Never failed me once, not once, ever.
Same with my Caravelle.
That thing sits for two months, I connect the battery
She cranks twice and away she goes.
In the two years I've used my 5th as my daily,
I've never even had a second thought as to whether it's gonna start or get me to work or up north.

It doesn't even enter my mind because I KNOW it will.

MoparDan

Reaction score
They make great daily drivers I've put almost 17K miles on my Fury since buying her last November, great cars comfortable, easy to work on, strong brakes, good gas mileage (for what it is) ect. I've used mine as everything from a limo to pick-up truck-take out the back seat and you'd be amazed what you can fit back there...

Last edited:
Back