M body wagon found

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I like woodie wagons in general, but really just the ones with real wood. The later ones with the plastic wood/mactac really look like caricatures of the real thing. Grew up in an area where there were a lot of them, too. I remember a next door neighbour who brought home a 1974 Chevrolet Caprice wagon in light yellow and plastic wood. Guy was a long distance bus driver (think Greyhound), but was a mechanic as well. Turns out that he got the wagon for next to nothing due to a nasty vibration that could not be solved, and during his vacation, he sat down and figured out what the problem was (cracked flexplate, got the tranny out single handed, too, to find it). This thing must have had acres of mactac on it (had all the trimmings of a "high end" car: fake wood and hood ornament on the outside, Two foot deep seat cushions covered in "crushed velour", the whole nine yards). Very nice guy, though, and always helped my dad out, and took the time to answer my car questions.

Last edited:

ColinV

Reaction score
Maybe check out Hemi Performance, Australia and get the six pack manifold they do for the 225 that will allow the 3 side draft carbs that came on their Hemi sixes for the E-49 Charger's.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I've seen those. Too over the top for this. I'm going to walk a fine line with the engine. As tempting as it is to hot rod it, I want to keep this as close to stock as possible. Would not mind a 2BBL. Where it gets tricky, The air cleaner is notched for the sanden AC compressor. Again, I don't want to start swapping to many parts. I want to keep it stock under the hood as best as possible and as simple as possible and as economical as possible. I do want to address the exterior with some new vinyl wood graphic, fix the dents and dings, then a topside respray with some midnight metal flake blue. Lastly, My set of "Baby moon" hubcaps are going on this for the nostalgic feel of a cruiser wagon.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Good call on the baby moons.
If i ever get that Volare woody I was going to try using mac tac for the wood panels.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Keep the motor stock,fix up the body and cruise in it.Slowood,Great name.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Now, if folks would stop asking me to sell it. I mean holy crap, I have not even started cruising it yet. I still have to get it tagged and registered.

slant6billy

Reaction score
BONUS! My 13 yearold kid said she wants to help with makeover of SLOWOOD. As soon as I said the top color was going to be midnight blue metalflake, she was hooked. Little does she realize, this is going to be an education for her. She'll be a seasoned mopar wrencher in no time.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
BONUS! My 13 yearold kid said she wants to help with makeover of SLOWOOD. As soon as I said the top color was going to be midnight blue metalflake, she was hooked. Little does she realize, this is going to be an education for her. She'll be a seasoned mopar wrencher in no time.

That's the way.
Get them hooked on the right brand before they get turned into chebbie zombies.

compubert

Reaction score
I don't care how rusty. If the price is right I'd snag one. I've always liked wagons. Take pics man I want to see it!!!
If you dont care how rusty,maybe you can have mine when i get my other car back on the road! WARNING, DC, Daytona and being submerged a time or two or three, in both salt and fresh water = there is just enough car to drive left, I have seen your work, but this needs a new car. . . on the other hand the engine runs great with only 540k on it, recent van clutch and throw out and radiator barely leaking now! I was gonna part it out on the board here when I have to finally park her for the big sleep...

slant6billy

Reaction score
lebaron1.jpg
lebaron2.jpg
I found these from when this wagon sold about 18 months ago. I tried to buy it then. The guy I got it from put the new tires on it. He also did brakes, shocks, alignment, tuneup, passed inspection. In that time he lost a factory wire wheel cover and the mounting hat. I'm going to put a better starter on it, see about a better tune with the carb and timing (not bad, but I think I can do better on that one barrell). I'd bring it to Carlisle, but I probable would lose it there. Of course, my eye just saw a 78 Aspen Supercoupe go up for sale. Another car I've kept tabs on. So I may just trade the wagon up to the SC. Obviously the SC is way more $$, but it never fails find something and then finding something else shortly after. I think I'd enjoy the wagon- call me weird. It has an easy rolling feel to it.

lebaron1.jpg

lebaron2.jpg

marko

Reaction score
great score !
im almost finished redoing mine, but you don't always have to put the woodgrain back on.....

20150318_134258-1-1.jpg

20150318_134258-1-1.jpg

gtsdude

Reaction score
I would drive it as is, patina! And put a small block with a turbo between the fenders! A sleeper for sure! I am keeping my eye out for an F body or M body wagon I can turbo.

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
Added score: I found a guitar cable in the wagon. Not some old cheap crap either. This is a good sign. Just test rode the cable through my Peavy and it is crisp.

Back