M-Body wire wheel covers interchange

69-

Reaction score
I have a new idea for a next small project (aside of a couple dozen others :cool:)

Got an opportunity to grab 4 good 15x5.5 steel rims (3.75 backspace), planned as winter tires. For regulatory insurance reasons we have to mount m+s tires if temperature is below like 40°F - most likely because the tire industry has successfully lobbied politicians to mandate extra tires for winter season to extend their sales... :mad:
(I always wonder, what we did before that regulation - perhaps care more about driving carefully and appropriately according to season and road situation?? :mad:)

Anyway, don't want to start an argument. I can perhaps also get some wire wheel covers off a 88 fifth 15". Those are screwed to the rim, the 15" rims of course lack those mounting bar.

Anyone already did something like that, especially to have it road safe?

thx!

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The wire wheel covers hold on like another hub cap. The center screw is a lock to prevent them from being stolen, not to hold them on so you don't really need it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
About the winter tires. My Dakota is used mostly only in winter and it's always had dedicated winter tires. Back when it was driven all year, I switched back and forth. Anyways, I wouldn't be caught dead in the snow and ice without the Blizzak's, or currently Firestone Winterforce. Actually, without them I MIGHT be caught dead. The difference between all season and winter tires is almost as much as 2 wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive (my Dakota is 2WD). They don't last as long due to the soft rubber but then they also don't solidify when it's 1 degree out and will actually grip glare ice to some extent. That's my experience/opinion only. To have the Government (or whoever) require them, that I wouldn't like. The way the current administration in this country is operating, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did require them by Executive Order. Different story, different forum, doesn't belong on this forum so, don't get me started:eek:

The bolt in the center also guarantee's they can't fall off on their own also.

Ele115

Reaction score
The way the current administration in this country is operating, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did require them by Executive Order. Different story, different forum, doesn't belong on this forum so, don't get me started:eek:
I picture it being something like you can't buy gasoline unless you agree to the vaccine or you have to put a list online where you store your firearms and when you are not home

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
In over 20 years of driving Ms I've never had a hubcap fall off without using the center bolt. At one point I wanted to for peace of mind but never got around to it. Something was usually busted or missing with the cone parts.

Winter tires on the rear wheels made world of difference. The ones on there now are from Wal-Mart.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There are two different wire hub caps used on FMJ's. There is a 14” one used mostly on F's, which I will refer to the lightweight version and the 15” one mostly used on M's – or what I refer to the heavyweight version. The later version uses the lock bolt (mainly, to prevent theft).
Screenshot 2021-06-01 175125.png

A "14 wire cap, from a Volare Sales Brochure.

Note, they also made a 14” locking wire cap for front wheel drive cars – which looks similar to the M-body heavyweight design, but won't fit. Well, I guess you could make them fit with 14” wheels, if one really wanted to, maybe.

I know of people who has not used the lock bolt (or an ordinary bolt, as far as that goes) but they are not people who drives the car that hard, either (like I do). Both versions of the wire caps are hard to get on or off – but under extreme usage, I bet I could get one to fly off of the car (if not bolted on, that is).

Note: people was stealing hubcaps (and radios, and …) back in the '70's and '80's, so having locking hubcaps were a real thing.
Today, not so much (unless you have 22” wheels with rubber band tires . . .)
BudW

Edit: Most of the M-body's used 15x7" wheels. If one was going to bolt the caps onto a 15x5.5" wheel, you would need to remove the 1" extension from the cap.

Last edited:

69-

Reaction score
Ok, Thanks all - I guess then its more like a walk in the park than (mini) project. :)

It'll take some time (months) until I get those rims and covers. I'll report back, of course.

Back