Mirada Concept Cars

CMX360

Reaction score
"In 1980, Dodge released the concept for what would eventually become the all new Dodge Mirada. Built by Creative Industries Inc in Detroit, Michigan, it was dubbed the Mirada Magnum. The concept looked very similar to the production Mirada, with the same European coupe styling, although there are some notable differences. These differences included: no opera windows behind the doors, headlight covers (similar to the 78-79 Magnum), horizontal front fender vents instead of vertical, unique blacked out wheels on Pirelli tires, an all black interior, and an oversized horn, apparently used to draw crowds to the car during its 1980 introduction. The powertrain included a V8 engine, most likely a 318, and an automatic transmission. Although the current owner could not confirm the engine, apparently, the fact that this concept includes power seats gives us the evidence that the engine is a 318 V8. The catalytic converter on the dual exhaust cars took up the space needed for the power seat motor. Since the 318 was never available with dual exhaust in the Mirada, this seems to confirm the engine in this concept car. All in all, an extremely sexy concept. Most of the time, concept cars are destroyed by the manufacturer after they are finished using them on the show circuit. Miraculously, this Mirada Magnum concept survives to this day. The car was originally scheduled to be destroyed, however, some sympathetic employees in Chrysler purchasing allowed the original buyer to pick it up, via the "back door", the day before it was to be crushed. Painted in silver with thick clear coat, it only had 118 miles as of February, 2006, when it appeared for sale on E-Bay. The auction ended in March, 2006 with a top bid of $15,000, which did not meet the reserve price."

MiradaConcept1.jpg

MiradaConcept12.jpg

MiradaConcept13.jpg

MiradaConcept2.jpg

MiradaConcept14.jpg

MiradaConcept4.jpg

MiradaConcept6.jpg

MiradaConcept8.jpg

MiradaConcept10.jpg

MiradaConcept5.jpg

MiradaConcept11.jpg

And this is a picture of a Mirada Turbine. This was the last turbine engined car Chrysler ever built. This would be one effin hell of a car to own if it even still exists. I have never been able to find any info on it, just this little picture from who knows when and where.
TurbinePoweredMirada.jpg

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
I wonder if it came with 'paperwork' as most concept cars had no actual VIN no's. could be the reason "reserve not met"... Just a thought...

I will try and get a pic of one of these cars to post. I know of 1 that has been sitting for 20 years @ least...

Ollywood

Reaction score
Was there any J built with filled in opera windows? I remember seein one local that had the operas filled in. It had CMX badges on the fenders. Got a feeling the cabriolet blew off at one point in its life.

I like the headlight covers. Gives it a sleek look.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Very cool car.
Definitely a head turner.
Don't think you'd need the oversize horn if you pulled up at the lights in that baby.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You're a riot Doc.
I know you've "seen 'em all",
But I personally have never seen that car before.
Very cool.
That almost looks like a Diplomat emblem on the fender.
Btw. Seen the turbine a million times. :icon_pidu:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Well the concept was for sale 6 yrs ago.

I'd like to know the fate of the turbine Lebaron. I'd like to find it in some dusty government storage building.
Word is it was last seen in California.

Back