Motorcraft carb

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not against the idea – but was wondering on the reason why?

If wanting to get rid of a computer controlled carburetor, I would recommend getting an older Carter BBD (mid ‘70’s work great) because everything fits (and already calibrated for a 318)

If there is another reason, I’d like to hear it (I’m not opposed, and always willing to hear new ideas).

One thing to keep in mind, a 318 2 bbl (regardless of year) is tuned for low end torque.
Change any one thing (like a bigger carburetor, bigger exhaust, camshaft change, etc.) and generally you might get more top end horsepower at the expense of low end torque and drivability.

If looking for more performance in a daily driver, I would recommend trying shorter tires and/or a different differential gear set first. Sometimes, just getting rid of the 2.2 or 2.4:1 gear set may be enough.

BudW

Edit:
I don’t see the BBD as “problematic”, “crappy-a” or a “piece of junk”.
That said, it does have its share of problems – just like any other carburetor out there. As long as you know what the problem areas are, then you already ahead of the game.

I’ve never been a fax of the Holley 2 bbl’s (either the newer 318 (2280/6280) or the bigger 360 version (2210)), nor the Holley 4 bbl (for different reasons on the 4 bbl).

No comment on the Motorcraft version (never owned one).

Last edited:

lowbudget

Reaction score
I was just intrigued looking at it. I've never had any problems with the Carters except having to have the throttle shaft bushed. I always thought the Holley 2 bbl. were for economy and the Carters gave a little more performance. At the Motorcrafts 350 CFM VS BBD/Holley 280 CFM it's not that much bigger. I had some spare time at work and was just browsing the web.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
They are good carbs, I used them on some of my sb ford builds, way back. Uses some Holley parts...acc pump, power valve,...
Pretty easy to tune and tweak. Had one that was opened up and it powered the 351 C in my 69 Mustang coupe quite well.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
They have been out for 4-5 years now.

I would get one if parts would interchange between it and Thermoquad’s (by the way, not a single thing does – close, but no cigar).

I’ve heard good things about them. I wish they made bigger versions, though.

BudW

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Those motorcraft carbs eat their power valves for lunch on a regular basis. They are quite expensive to rebuild. I would stick with one of mom Mopar's offerings.

Back