Mounting 3 piece spoiler

dusterglenn

Reaction score
I just bought a 3 piece spoiler for my 79 Aspen, and I'm looking for some advice, pictures or measurements on drilling the mounting holes. I hate drilling holes in cars. I really hate drilling hole in the wrong places.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Take some pics of the underside of the spoiler and maybe I can help you...I know my trunk lid has a least four holes from the underside...see if yours does to and then try to match them up with the mounting holes in the middle part of the spoilers

dusterglenn

Reaction score
Here's some pics of the spoiler. I was a little surprised that theres only two studs and two screws on the main section of the spoiler. My guess is that getting all the pieces lined up will be the real challenge. Gotta love the 80's style pinstripe lettering!

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

dusterglenn

Reaction score
Oops, its not obvious in the pics, but the front edge of the spoiler is facing upwards...

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Here's some pics of the spoiler. I was a little surprised that theres only two studs and two screws on the main section of the spoiler. My guess is that getting all the pieces lined up will be the real challenge. Gotta love the 80's style pinstripe lettering!
You will have some fun with that one...the backside is not the same as the one piece...have a partner help you with marking the holes...I would find someway of backing out the studs/screws and put some paint on them...touch them into place to find your drilling spots...do the big one piece first and it will act a guide for the end ones...wish I could be a better help to you..

Last edited:

dusterglenn

Reaction score
Well, I didn't take an 'during' pictures, but there's a few 'before & after'.

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

crayzcuda

Reaction score
Looking really sharp! Louvers and spoiler sure give it some attitude.

dusterglenn

Reaction score
Totally un-scientifically.
While playing around, testing to see where the spoiler should sit, I managed to scratch the decklid with the inboard studs. I measured from the studs to the rear edge, and to the outboard edges. These measurements matched the scratches quite closely, so I grabbed my cordless drill...
For the holes for the quarterpanel pieces, I copied the 'scratch method'. All these holes needed to be ovalled slightly to allow for adjustment to get it all lined up.

Back