Move on.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Nothing to see here, I just needed to post a couple pics for someone.

The jist is, just like if we went through some of our wives or moms old stuff, anything with gold print or lace seems to have not held up to time.

The gold and the tape constantly have the same chemical reaction, weather the stripe was from a northern or southern environment.

De-lamination where half the material stays on one side, the rest on the other, and even when a clean pull is possible the chemical reaction damaged the stripe to leaves it to be unserviciable.

So color/pattern match to oem is probably gonna be the only way.

DSC03900.JPG

DSC03903.JPG

DSC03898.JPG

DSC03902.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Bummer.

Our humidity is so high here, that unused decals don't last long. I remember seeing boxes and boxes of decals like that, tossed at a dealership because they couldn't be used, when only 5-10 years old.
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I just put some on last night with zero issues because ive done them before, the bigger stripes like for Road Runner cars and stuff are a bit different material and I went into it last niight with 3 of the same and the first new took.

I have a mopar service sheet about installing them and they are just like the more modern ones and if the little micro bubbles of glue will still pop, they will stick.

The only other issue ive ran across is the ones from a humid environment the masking tape is the big problem.

I hate it for the guy needing the gold as repop seems the only route.

Although dirty, I put this on 18 years ago nos and wanted to inspect and only found a spec of dirt I missed on the decal.

But all my blue, red, ect are all good, I need to get a over the trunk blue repoped though. My point is, age is not the biggest factor, and some many toss I and others can make work.

If I were a worker at dealer and grabbed some off the shelf and had issues, id toss them because id not care its not my car, but nos next to repop is a world apart unless one spends big money on the repop and not from the ones most know of.

I will buy any nos 76-77 RR decals one wants to sell.

DSC03910.JPG

DSC03911.JPG

DSC03875.JPG

DSC03896.JPG

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here is a good example of why not to discount any stripe.

While looking for something else, no joke this RR lower decal has been in the unheated part of my shop laying on a shelf for the last 5 years, pealed off and we have been as low as -20 and it gets 120 on that side in the summer or better.

Even dusty, rather dirty its still has good adhesion, actually great, it stuck to a dusty bezel like it was just made.

The second pic. semi clean would be the non sticky reveal side.

DSC03985.JPG

DSC03986.JPG

DSC03988.JPG

DSC03989.JPG

DSC03990.JPG

DSC03991.JPG

Back