Must haves for car owning

slant6billy

Reaction score
Before you buy that car (new or used), research it. Carfax, insurance history, DMV, service records. Look for red flags.

also, does it still have the owners manual, the jack, the spare (does it all work and is it for that car?) Test it. Are there locking lug nuts? Do you have the key for those locks? Ask for them!

Check it for OBD2 codes also before you buy if it is a 1996 or newer car or truck. (this is where a code reader bought or borrowed is helpful).

No owners manual? you can get one most likely and on electronic format for newer stuff.

Typically, I get a Chiltons or Haynes on any car I own, join a forum for that car. Also, search for common issues with such car. Somebody has been into that car's issues before you.

My wife's friend is a single mom and she has thrown big $$$ at cars she did not need to. The only words she knew was ( The Dealer fixes everything). I have since introduced her to my budy's shop and she has saved $$$. A good honest shop is key.

Almost every brand has a web following.

brotherGood

Reaction score
There's a lot of truth here. I researched jeeps out thoroughly when my wife was looking for something to replace her corolla. I'm a Mopar guy (duh), she's growing into a Mopar girl, but her moms side of the family have been Toyota. Her one uncle was a Toyota tech for his entire working life..because of that, she ended up with the Rav 4. Not going to knock it though...I've thrashed on it more than I should and not had an issue. But, even though he's a phone call away, im still on the rav4 forum just in case.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I know more than a few newer car owners where it's always off to the dealership. Friends of mine I've introduced to a great mechanic and good friend of mine. A great honest mechanic will also tell you what you need to do now and what can wait.....giving you some breathing room between repairs instead of maybe scaring you into doing the whole shooting match at once.
Once a good relationship is established....many times an independent will cut you a break that a dealership won't or can't simply because they pretty much have to go by the book (protocol).

And as mentioned.....knowledge is your most valuable tool.

Back