My 1981 Imperial runs again!

CumDodge

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I've watched and read this forum for years now. Lots of good info and help here and on the other forums for A-bodies, B-bodies, trucks.
My '81 Imperial quit running on it's EFI system over 16 years ago. It is now once again running, licensed and insured. I did my own shadetree conversion.
Edelbrock Performer non-EGR intake, Carter aftermarket ThermoQuad 9801S, Mopar Performance electronic ignition, new Delphi in-tank fuel pump, and a firewall mounted by-pass style pressure regulator, set at 6 psi, returning to the tank.
That stuff was the easy part, the wiring conversion is what I hate. Wiring diagrams make my brains bleed, so I'm glad it wasn't my first experience with converting. There's still some wires to finalize yet.
But I'm really stoked up about having my Imperial back again! It seems to run OK still after all these years of sitting. I've missed having a WOT ThermoQuad hooked to my right foot. I'd always loved driving this Mopar, the looks, and the luxury.
I just bought a set of the spoked Mirada aluminum wheels for it, and I think I'll go with 235/70-15 f&r.
Still have a lot of checking out to do. Rear end oil change and inspection, tranny oil & filter, etc. Lots of bulbs need changing! Power seats, windows, mirrors, etc don't all function, but I'm hoping for easy fixes. Sagged rear springs, and I need a nice dual exhaust.
Anyways, I'm down to only owning 5 Mopars now.
1988 5th Ave - worn out, parked
1987 Ramcharger 4x4 - bad automatic
1981 Imperial - recently brought back from the dead
1966 Barracuda - 225 4-bbl, 4-spd OD, needs some TLC again
1965 D200 Crewcab - permanent plates, it'll never die

My imp

Reaction score
Greetings one & all, l have an '81 lmp (pics to follow soon) that l have many plans & even more ?'s about. 360,headers,dual muff's,cat's,into single tail pipe? 77 thou,no rust,mostly deplorable factory paint,near mint interior. Me, am far from stock; interthecal drug (dilaudid) pump,string of unsuccessful back surgeries,9 skin grafts,1 tendon graft,13 screws & 1 plate in rt lower leg, many misc breaks,etc... List of cars:(3)'81 lmp's,(2)'72 Chargers,'92 Stealth r/t tt,'88 LeBaron t2 cabriolet,'91 Spirit R/T,'83 Prospector B250,'99 Mercury Marquis GS. This is my first posting on ANY website, so please be patient. Last night l saw t tops for $200 dollars, and l can't find them. Were they sold? If not , l would like to purchase + all other parts also. Thank you, bye bye, buy bonds

lowbudget

Reaction score
I looked at an 81 Imperial days off. The guy wanted 1000.00 for it. Interior was well worn, odo said 64K but he said more like 100K, tires were coming apart at the tread and it hadn't been tagged in 9 years. I offered 700.00 but he wasn't budging. I told him I didn't think it was a 1000.00 car. He asked what would make it a 1000.00 dollar car and I told him matching tires that would pass safety inspection.

He said it ran but wouldn't take it out of town. I only gave 200.00 for my Aspen 4 door beater and drove it from Bellingham WA to Vernal Utah.

He also had a spare throttle body for it and the body was clean but I just couldn't justify it.

CumDodge

Reaction score
The Delphi electric in-tank fuel pump was purchased at NAPA, part #FE0115. It is a low-pressure pump intended for an older TBI Mustang. It seems to me that Delphi might be out of business now, but it can be cross-referenced. Since the pump is designed to run @ 12-14 psi, that is too much pressure for a carburetor's needle and seat. So I installed a 'by-pass' type of fuel pressure regulator
imperial seat 002.jpg

from Jegs, part #15909. This regulator is specifically designed for retrofitting a carb onto a EFI vehicle, and it sends fuel back thru the return line to the tank. My pressure is regulated @ 5-1/2 psi, with a guage in one of the ports.

imperial seat 002.jpg

My imp

Reaction score
Thanks, I have to drop the tank & see what sort of Rube Goldburg setup the PO's mechanic left me. This guy loved to spend his customers money! Thanks again, Larry

My imp

Reaction score
Delphi pumps are still available everywhere, I was able to get one at Summit, along with a much cheaper regulator. Mr. Gasket makes the #2015 return style regulator that doesn't need all those AN style fittings. I got pump, reg., & barbs out the door for under $80! Thanks again, I had more than that tied up in a Holley mechanical pump. On top of that , I bought rolls of tubing to run new lines! Now I can tidy things up under the car & hood & have a more efficient fuel system! Thanks again, Larry

Back