My Lean Burn Delete

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
I promised pics but still havent gotten the shoddy workmanship cleaned up, but will post the "how to" segment. If ya hit a bump just ask and I will try and answer.
If you are wondering why I would do this lets just say, the car was a friend of mine that passed away at an age we wont discuss, but he knew me as a car guy and always brought his broke junk to me to fix. Anyways when his wife told me he wanted me to have the car to come get it I did, and I did know it had started having drivability issues but I was not ready for what they were.
Hard to start, wouldnt idle, wouldnt hardly get out of its own way, and this is a c-body 440ci powered car, with roughly 80k actual miles. Gas milage? glad you ask, 2-3 MPG IF you were lucky. Needless to say first thought was carb, cleaned it to with-in an inch of its life, to no avail. Tried timing, nope, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor nope, still no help. Talking to a buddy of mine that is a Mopar Junkie gave me an electronic/vacuum advance style dist and said junk the lean burn and put this and an old school carb on it, and your prob will be solved.
Which lead me to another problem, the elec boxes for mopars arent 'zactly cheap, and no wiring for them to boot. So there had to be a 'cheaper' alternative.
When I first did this "Lean Burn Delete" it cost me a whole 35 bux for new parts, I had scored an old NON-Lean Burn Thermo-Quad in the need of a kit, and a friend gave me the RB Electronic Distributor, and its needed due to Lean Burn cars have no Vacuum advance. I dove in one fine day during the winter, ( think it was 36-37 degrees with a 20-30mph wind ) I do live in the Texas Panhandle.

Ok now ya have needed BIG parts, (dist, and carb) install those, hopfully on a warmer day than i did it on. I had bought the DR-100 Duralast Gm Module, and I will list others if you arent big on AutoZone. (NAPA Echlin TP-45, AC Delco D-2906, or Standard- Bluestreak LX-301.) I just mounted the module directly to the inner fender well on the passenger side with machine screws ( I think I used #8-32 with matching flat washers and lock washers and nuts) using the whole tube of dielectric grease that came in the box @ that time. (think they sell it seperate now) You will need to source either the connectors from a junk GM dist or use female spade connectors, you will need 5 normal sized (1/4") and one small sized (3/16"). On the 12v side of the ballast resistor hook one wire to it and the other end to the B+ side of module. Run a wire from the C terminal of module to the + side of coil. The last connectors goes to the distributor. If the car fails to start, or runs very poorly swap the 2 distributor wires at the module. and thats it...I also bought a different coil, and I suppose any electronic ignition coil would work, but I bought the cheapest E-coil I could find, which in turn ends up being one for a Ford, Part no C-859/ FV-55. It was 14.99 when I did all this the price is up to 23.99 now according to the A.Zone site.

I unplugged the mess of wires/vacuum lines going to the Lean Burn, stuffed em behind the fenderwell where they still reside. Took the lean burn unit it self off of air cleaner and dropped it into the dumpster, made a lightweight plate to cover the holes on the air cleaner and used the screw holes that were already there to mount it.

Oh and you maybe wondering about the fuel mileage now... 14 ish in town, will burn the right rear tire off of it if you want it to, and has that magical Thermo-Quad Growl when stood on.... It runs the way it should....

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Here is a real simplified 'drawing' of the wiring.
HEI.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks for posting.
That's gonna come in handy.
I wanna ditch the lean burn on the 318 in my 5th ave.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks for posting.
That's gonna come in handy.
I wanna ditch the lean burn on the 318 in my 5th ave.

Its actually an easy to do thing, and as i said if the car fails to start or runs poorly switch the wires to the distributor.. First try mine wouldnt start, switched the 2 wires and it turned maybe one rev and fired right up... It had NEVER started that easily..

Erics5th

Reaction score
Been running HEI on my 5th since 2009. I use a Mallory unit, mounted in the inner fender also but on a piece of aluminum. Just yesterday, I installed a relay in my system, that way you will have a steady voltage to the module and coil. Make sure you ground the module well, I run a wire from the module to the alternator case. Tip: Use a MSD Blaster 2 coil. Here are a few pics of my installation:
afca9969.gif

bea3c0dc.gif

1d989381.gif

8f397637.gif

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Right on.
All this will help when I get around to doing it.
Believe it or not, I have my 5th running like a champ lean burn and all
But I'm pretty damn sure it's gonna run way better after the conversion.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Right on.
All this will help when I get around to doing it.
Believe it or not, I have my 5th running like a champ lean burn and all
But I'm pretty damn sure it's gonna run way better after the conversion.

Well if its running well I wouldnt 'fix' it. It may run better, or not. The Newport was running so poorly that any kind of improvement would have been a god-send, but I wasnt prepared for how WELL it did run... Also dont forget to regap the plugs, I had put it off at the time and ended up forgetting about it till the plugs started basically self destructing. Did new plugs gapped @ .045 and haven't had a moments problem.

Eric, I have seen and read about adding the relay, but so far have had no issues with the way its currently wired, so until I kill a module or 2 I will leave well enough alone..

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well for now I'm going with the tried and true "if it ain't broke" policy.
When I bought my 5th it stalled, bogged, etc.
Did the usual plugs, wires, rotor, cap.
Started putting 91 octane in her and kept advancing the timing as far as I could without knocking. (Did the final tweak in the beer store parking lot.. Gotta love old cars)
Been running like a champ ever since.
She won't peel the rubber off the rim but she's 100% reliable and runs as well as a smogger 318 is gonna run.
The only reason I was thinking of doing the conversion is
I heard it helps performance "a lot"
True or false?

Eventually the long term plan was/is..
Conversion, new intake, 4 bbl, lose the cat (no sniffing for 87's here)
And either dual exhaust or at the very least "Y" pipe.
Does that sound like a good route to go?
Will she sort of melt tires ?
Just wondering...

Last edited:

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Well for now I'm going with the tried and true "if it ain't broke" policy.
When I bought my 5th it stalled, bogged, etc.
Did the usual plugs, wires, rotor, cap.
Started putting 91 octane in her and kept advancing the timing as far as I could without knocking. (Did the final tweak in the beer store parking lot.. Gotta love old cars)
Been running like a champ ever since.
She won't peel the rubber off the rim but she's 100% reliable and runs as well as a smogger 318 is gonna run.
The only reason I was thinking of doing the conversion is
I heard it helps performance "a lot"
True or false?

It WILL improve performance, but not for sure what your "a lot" is...:wave:
Eventually the long term plan was/is..
Conversion, new intake, 4 bbl, lose the cat (no sniffing for 87's here)
And either dual exhaust or at the very least "Y" pipe.
Does that sound like a good route to go?
Will she sort of melt tires ?
Just wondering...

Well I cant say that it will melt the tires off, but you are down a few cubes compared to mine, and probably make half the torque. But with the other mods you have in mind it sure could be a possibility. Guess I need to do a smokey burn out in the ole USS. Banana and post a vid of it some time... I need to back the timing off just a smidge more tho, it will ping under heavy load. But its always a heavy load i think...lol (close to 5k lbs)

Make sure you ground the module well, I run a wire from the module to the alternator case. Tip: Use a MSD Blaster 2 coil.

I grounded mine to one of the mounting holes that was on the E-Coil with just a 16ga wire and 2 'eyes'....

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It WILL improve performance, but not for sure what your "a lot" is...:wave:

I'm definitely not expecting any miracles.
I just want to pull it out of the "pedestrian" smogger mode that it's in now
It runs like a stock 318 5th ave. right now.
Just wouldn't mind a little more hop off the lights.

hdm

Reaction score
HEI on Lean Burn

Been running HEI on my 5th since 2009. I use a Mallory unit, mounted in the inner fender also but on a piece of aluminum. Just yesterday, I installed a relay in my system, that way you will have a steady voltage to the module and coil. Make sure you ground the module well, I run a wire from the module to the alternator case. Tip: Use a MSD Blaster 2 coil. Here are a few pics of my installation:
afca9969.gif

bea3c0dc.gif

1d989381.gif

8f397637.gif

Hi Erics5th
I love the pics could you list your parts (numbers would help) for your HEI set up and perhaps a wiring diagram. I am really tired of the hard starts and stalls of my 83 New Yorker with 28,000 (real) miles I figure I need a new distributor(one junkyard on hand) and coil. Is there anything else I need?

Dwight:notworthy:

Erics5th

Reaction score
Hi Dwight. Mroldart2u posted a good basic diagram above. I just wired in a relay for a more constant supply of voltage. Here is a good diagram to add the relay:
IMG_2623s.jpg

Back