My Spare AMC Rally wheels. Discard them or use them?

Ele115

Reaction score
These are from my vast AMC horde. Normally, they would go to the Hyundai foundry but these are getting very hard to find so I sandblasted them and acid dipped them. They do fit Chrysler but are 14 inch, so they were never very popular wheels. They are going on one of my Aspens. I was looking for the "road wheels" and just gave up and decided to use these. There is some pitting on them, but the rings will hide it. I have some white letter 70 series tires I bought for my GTO in the 80's (but never used) I plan to put on. High speed driving on tires this old won't be an option but they will look good. The car just goes around local cruise nights and some errands.
go with these.
IMG_5951.JPG
IMG_5997.JPG
IMG_6016.JPG

Mr C

Reaction score
Nice. I would certainly never throw them away. At the least you could craigslist them and an enthusiast would snap them up, provided your price is reasonable.

I saw a guy selling used Mopar cop wheels locally to me...he's asking 600 bucks...delusional.

/6Volare

Reaction score
These are from my vast AMC horde. Normally, they would go to the Hyundai foundry but these are getting very hard to find so I sandblasted them and acid dipped them. They do fit Chrysler but are 14 inch, so they were never very popular wheels. They are going on one of my Aspens. I was looking for the "road wheels" and just gave up and decided to use these. There is some pitting on them, but the rings will hide it. I have some white letter 70 series tires I bought for my GTO in the 80's (but never used) I plan to put on. High speed driving on tires this old won't be an option but they will look good. The car just goes around local cruise nights and some errands.
go with these.View attachment 42081View attachment 42082View attachment 42083
I would also not be using tires from the 80's. Maybe on a wagon around the farm but certainly not on a road. The rubber decomposes over time. They may look good but its an accident wsiting to happen

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If the wheels fit - use 'em. They look a lot nicer cleaned up so thumbs up for that work!

I do agree on what was said on tires. If the car will not be on the road, then maybe. Tires do have a life expectancy and have a "cast-in" date stamp on them. Depending on who you talk to, some say tire life is 7 years and others say 10 years.
I won't drive a vehicle on the road if the tires are over 10 years old OR shows signs of dry rot. Now if the car won't leave the garage (working on it) or around the block for testing, I might on older tires. I have seen too many tires give up and that can wipe out a fender ... or worse (tire pops on freeway going 80 MPH, then car crosses over the median, or something to that effect). It is just not worth it for street driving. For a show car (trailer queen) or to have tires to stick on after vehicle gets to a car show - then I'd say go for it.

All tires have either a 3-digit or 4-digit date stamp on them, just after DOT. 3-digit date stamps are before the year 2000.
A 4-digit tire date stamp would look like:
Tire Date Stamp.jpg

BudW

Ele115

Reaction score
Out of respect for the dying art of acceptable decorum, I know people hate houdini posts, but this old guy has been burning the proverbial candle at 78 ends. But here goes. The trailer queen tyres are just that, they are on and off the trailer or around the compound at low speeds. They are for looks and they are from the Reagan administration, quite literally. I wouldn't go more than a mile from home or over 60 Kmh on them. The mo better news is that I got some dern nice BFG from my friends and Summit and they got here in two days!

Lebaron 60's.jpeg
Lebaron wheel LF.JPG

Last edited:

SuicideRider

Reaction score
Out of respect for the dying art of acceptable decorum, I know people hate houdini posts, but this old guy has been burning the proverbial candle at 78 ends. But here goes. The trailer queen tyres are just that, they are on and off the trailer or around the compound at low speeds. They are for looks and they are from the Reagan administration, quite literally. I wouldn't go more than a mile from home or over 60 Kmh on them. The mo better news is that I got some dern nice BFG from my friends and Summit and they got here in two days!

View attachment 42194 View attachment 42195
That looks awesome.

Ele115

Reaction score
AMC wheels go good on the mopar cousinsView attachment 42196

Isn't the car world weird? I have slotted Mopar police wheels on one of my Javelins. Most of the wheels back then came from the same company (Kelsey Hayes), and you can even interchange center caps on many Ford/AMC/Mopar. with the five holes 3 screw caps. These Javelin wheels look a lot like the 15 inch Mopar wheels anyway, so that's a reason I sandblasted them. I don't have enough "road wheels" although now that I did this, I will probably find more all of a sudden

Back