New block heater ordeal.....

lowbudget

Reaction score
The tank heater in my Aspen decided to quit pumping water. It still got hot but didn't circulate the coolant. After looking at the hoses I decided to replace them all. After a quick price check I also decided to go the lower radiator hose heater.
When I pulled the tank heater I found the the ball was rusted in and that no amount of beating would free it. I swapped out new heater hoses and installed the lower radiator hose heater.
I fired it up and took it for a short drive. Temp gauge pegged and I had a steam bath going on from behind where the heater core ends are. I thought I must have blown my heater core.
I checked around and no one had a heater core and it would take 5 days to get one. I got a bright ideal of how to pressure test my core. I grabbed 2 pieces of heater hose. clamped a rubber plug in one and a valve stem in the other. I then used a motorcycle suspension hand pump to get it up to 15 psi. It was leaking where the hose hooked up. I pulled the hose and there was a flat spot where someone had over torqued the clamp on it. I worked the inlet back to round and got a good test.
I decided to change out the thermostat and radiator cap. After I got that done I went for a test drive and the new Oriellys cap let go. I thought it felt weak when I put it on.
I said to hell with it and got a new cap and water pump from NAPA. I decided to put a new pump in it after looking at the bypass hose and thinking about how poor the one in my Fifth Avenue was. I was glad I did when I got the old bypass house out of it.
Now it is running like a champ with only one problem......The temp gauge doesn't even get to 1/4 now when it used to run at 3/8. It looks like a piece of cardboard to finish the job. Oh well you have to love this shit especially working outside at 10 to 15 degrees F. It was -3 degrees F when I got up this morning so we will see how my lower radiator hose heater does.

OK my rant is over.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Sounds like an epic which you overcame. Kudos for your perseverance. And yes.....nothing absolutely nothing sucks more to me than wrenching in the freezing cold.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I think I might have air locked it once yesterday as I forgot to drill a weep hole in the thermostat. It fired right up at probably 10 degrees this morning. I put the biggest baddest NAPA battery I could fit in it...which helps spin the mighty slant over. Next will be an alternator upgrade.......It never stops LOL

lowbudget

Reaction score
The money for parts doesn't bother me as the Co. pays me $80.00 for each trip to the airport and then again on the trip back. I might spend $15.00 on fuel each way.
I didn't make the hill going out my driveway last night and slid into my 78 Power Wagon. It took out the taillight. I had one but had to string an extension cord out to the back 40 to run a heat gun to thaw the ice off of it so I could pull it. I love winter!

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
I think I might have air locked it once yesterday as I forgot to drill a weep hole in the thermostat. It fired right up at probably 10 degrees this morning. I put the biggest baddest NAPA battery I could fit in it...which helps spin the mighty slant over. Next will be an alternator upgrade.......It never stops LOL
Oh!!! tell me more about the weep hole in the T-stat .. please .. I've heard of this before .. but no details

the comment on repairs wasn't the way I meant it .. I meant a repair on our vehicles will last forever but the payment on a new vehicle seems to last forever ... if that makes any more sense .. lol

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
So I thought the overflow tank took care of that .. just make sure it's filled to the line and if needed the cooling system takes what it needs, and allows air to escape?? just asking

Back