New coil in the 81 woody wagon

slant6billy

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qcONEFqMSI&feature=youtu.be

Repurposed the Volare's coil into the woody, now that the Volare' has the Pro master coil.

SLOWOOD fired right up without even priming the carb with a shot of gas.

alternator was charging but the battery is empty.

The idle isn't bad, but I can make it better. No smoke. There is definitely a law of physics that states a slant6 wants to run.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You cannot kill a slant 6. It's not physically possible! I have seen them run out of oil, leak all the coolant out, seize a rod bearing, break the rod and have it poke the side of the crankcase out and they STILL run. Suppose then it's a slant-5? lol

Not too proud of it but,,,,,,,,,,,back in the mid '80's there were hundreds of 225's in rotted out Dart's and Duster's in the scrapyards. Not much market for them since they outlasted the cars easily around here. We drained the oil and coolant out of one that the odometer showed like 90,000 miles (had to have been 190,000), propped the throttle wide open and started it. Ran until it seized. We let it cool off for an hour and the darn thing started and ran! Didn't run as long the second time but still went a good 5 minutes at WOT with the valves floating before it seized once and for all. As I said, not proud of it because I normally don't deliberately destroy things but the majority of them were going to be going to the steel mill to be melted down anyways. As a side note, we also tried one of the almighty small block Chevys. Left the oil and coolant in it, made it about 30 seconds and KABOOM. Launched at least one rod out the side. Don't feel bad about that one though, lol!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
A while back they used to have engine blows at a local car show/event. Drain everything and place your bets how long before it blows. Closest guess wins the pot.

They made the mistake of trying it with a slant.
Never did blow and everyone got fed up and left.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Well, I've killed 2 slants out of shear youth and stupidity. This Lebaron is going to get any leftover slant stuff and mopar stuff I can find. That is keeping the 1bbl and AC and cruise. The only way the slant gets pulled is I can shove a Hellcat drive train in the woody. The name would go from SLOWOOD to Splinter Kitty. I think that is the long term plan. Drive the slant and just wait for a telephone poll wrapped hellcat.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The 225 out of my Aspen lives on to this day in my dad's '74 Duster. Had 78,000 miles when I pulled it from my car. His Duster was using coolant and he traced it down to a cracked cylinder wall. This was way back in 1989. Told him I just happened to have a perfectly good S6 so in it went. My brother used it when he was in college and then a couple years over in the Twin Cities. He did put a reman cylinder head on it at one point. The Duster had 110,000 on it when the engine was swapped (head around 200,000) and it shows about 90,000 now (290,000). Car doesn't get driven at all anymore (rotted beyond use and pretty sure it's going to the salvage yard or getting sold for parts fairly soon)but it still runs perfect and I guess even with about 260,000 on the short block it still would use less than a quart every 3,000 miles. One of the best engines built,,,,ever,,,,,by any company.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Fun fact: The rear-main seal is the same as used on big blocks! Fun fact #2: There was a short-lived aluminum version of the block. The usage of aluminum necesitated the use of bigger walls -- but they never re-sized it when they went back to iron, hence the legendary durability. And sad fact #3: The heads are the same units used for the 170 CI versions of the Slant 6 -- which limits the ability to make serious hp (on a budget) -- in spite of the durability. The heads simply won't flow enough air, and there was never a strong aftermarket for the slant six, save for some 4 barrel intakes, and Mopar's own "Super 6" 2 barrel setup.

BHA43

Reaction score
Had my "retirement" party a couple weeks ago and for part of the entertainment we had a blow up deal. 04 Tauras was the victim, $5 bet on a slice of the time clock. I went for the bottom side of 5 min. Bitch went 22 sec. grand nephew (14 yr)got over 100 bucks. He was on cloud 9! I did my share of abusing slants! we used to do a "go till she blows" race at the dirt track. no oil or water I won the first year with 15 laps on a 1/2 mile they stopped me, I grabbed the checkers and did a victory lap, gave the flag back and drove it on the trailer. Broght the same motor back year 2 and got 2nd. Year 3 another slant & it spit a rod out on the track & ran smoother after that! 3rd or 4th that year!

slant6billy

Reaction score
The Slant6 is the type of engine that can put a car company out of business. No return buyer. Very bad business model. Take GM: Make it shitty and just throw parts and money at it so the buyer has to buy another one in a few years

Aspen500

Reaction score
One other "down side" to the slant 6 head is the intake and exhaust ports on the same side. Limit's flow vs a crossflow design. However having the engine slanted gives room for long intake runners and a fairly decent (for stock iron) flowing exhaust manifold.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Had my "retirement" party a couple weeks ago and for part of the entertainment we had a blow up deal. 04 Tauras was the victim, $5 bet on a slice of the time clock. I went for the bottom side of 5 min. Bitch went 22 sec. grand nephew (14 yr)got over 100 bucks. He was on cloud 9! I did my share of abusing slants! we used to do a "go till she blows" race at the dirt track. no oil or water I won the first year with 15 laps on a 1/2 mile they stopped me, I grabbed the checkers and did a victory lap, gave the flag back and drove it on the trailer. Broght the same motor back year 2 and got 2nd. Year 3 another slant & it spit a rod out on the track & ran smoother after that! 3rd or 4th that year!

That's an engine.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
One other "down side" to the slant 6 head is the intake and exhaust ports on the same side. Limit's flow vs a crossflow design. However having the engine slanted gives room for long intake runners and a fairly decent (for stock iron) flowing exhaust manifold.

The slant has incredible potential. It's just money and not a lot of people want to sink a lot of money into a slant.....except maybe a crazy bastard like me.....

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There is an American Muscle Car episode regarding the Dart GT, GTS, and Hemi Dart. While all of that is interesting in an of itself, while they are going through the history or the Dart and its evolution, they did say that in 1961 there was a slant 6 with 275 naturally aspirated (no super/turbo chargers) HP from the factory (no V8s in those years for the Dart). Gives an idea of how much is possible with a slant 6 if somebody wants to put the effort in. link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=556cyHpG_Hs

Kostas

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I think the guys over at American Muscle are wrong.... Or at least, I'd like to know where that number came from. I spend a lot of time over at slant6.org, and no one is making over 1HP per CI NA. They Hyper Pak was the hottest factory version of the Slant (that I'm personally aware of), and Chrysler advertised it at 195HP, not 275HP. Source, Allpar: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hyper-pak.html

gtsdude

Reaction score
Back in the mid 90's my brother and I built a cruiser car for our local dirt track. Cruiser car has a driver who runs the wheel and brake, passenger runs the gas by moving the gas pedal to passenger side. Rules were purely stock 4 door car except a chevy or any GM car with a chevy small block. We used a 79 lebaron with a slant 6 we bought off a neighbor for $50, it had sat in a shed for few years and ran like crap. We were allowed to keep the cars at the track so you didn't need to tow them every week, that car was the only one that stayed at the track all year. Most cars needed work after every race, not the slant, it ran with the factory temp guage pegged by the 3rd lap of a 10 lap feature every race. We made every feature and never once had a mechanical issue. The track we ran was a 3/8 banked oval and all the fuel would run to one side of the tiny carb and it would quit for a second at the top of the turn and then take off again. We tried putting a piece of metal in the fuel bowl to keep the fuel over the jet, worked for few laps then would fall or move out of place, Then we threw a cheap electric fuel pump on it and would run it when we went into the turns, this took care of the fuel issue, went out for a feature starting 4th, pulled into the lead on first lap, kept it until few laps to go and out comes the caution. Get lined back up and the fuel pump quits on the next turn, I was really hoping to win one with the slant, everyone thought we were cheating because no way a slant 6 could out run a V8, but with not enough power to spin a wheel you never even had to let off the gas to get around the corner.

slant6billy

Reaction score
The Splinter wagon is getting a new home. Rattletrap has put a claim in on it. So the plan for stuffing a hellcat drive train in is being shelved. This will allow me to control my mopar ADD and focus on the other mopars in the garage.

Back