New guy, looking for an Imp and have some questions.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I do all my own work, but I stop at power steering boxes. Eeewww... tweaky.

If it's the stock linkage from the Dustpan, yeah, you're fine. For the record, Hurst shifters are really easy to rebuild at home. The design was revolutionary in 1963, but it's so simple it's almost sickening. You nust need new divider plates, but in most cases simply disassembling them, throughy cleaning and reassembling with good grease is more than enough. In the case of factory linkage, a little attitude and a big drill will get you a long way with the linkage. I just drill everything out for use with a Hurst Pit Pack, and snick-snick shifting joy is just $15 away. In the case where the linkage is too small for the bushing's inner diameter, a stroll through the Dorman catalog will usually find you a bushing that will work. Head into the "door hinge" area, and let 'er rip. No, they're not steel, but they can hold up a door for many, many years.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Oh, yeah... drill it for the overstop bolts. The case is already stamped as a guide. Final-drill for a 3/8 USS thread and use nuts to lock the bolts in place once the proper stop point has been found. Still more precision feel, and less wear on the transmission guts.

My imp

Reaction score
No the shifter is fine. I got that off of a low mileage wrecked Challenger. The shifter rods themselves & eyes were worn (oblonged). The shifter that went in the Duster from the factory, as with a couple of others were so sloppy, that it's darn near comical. All I needed to do was to add about 6" to the shifter & a skull for a shift knob! I like things shifters tight & precise, not wiggle till you find the one you want! Besides, I'm not running the pistol grip in the Imp. I'll probably end up modding something else. I'd really like to run a 5-6 spd instead of the 4 speed. I really didn't know what the cost of the Passon trans was, so thank you. Only knew of the article praising the set up. I wish I had the cash to heap on these suppliers for all the latest & greatest. I don't. I need to wait for a deal, or sale to come along to do things the way I want. The rest, I need to depend on my own imagination & fabbing ability. It usually ends up being the latter, not the former. Plus, being a nit-picking, anal retentive Virgo, I'm usually not happy with other peoples work, & end up doing it myself anyways. Can't speak for the rest of the country, but what passes for craftsmanship in my area?

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'm running the OD 4-speed in mine, with the case modification to strengthen the countershaft. However, in my particular application, more gears is not my friend; a wide-ratio trans with less gears is actually more suited to where I'm ultimately going. My only beef is the 1st gear ratio; it's actually too low in the OD trans. I'd be much better off with the 2.45 used in the close-ratio transmissions, but we takes what we gets.

The last time I checked with my insider, the Passon setup was around $4,800. I don't know if that included the required shifter.

My imp

Reaction score
$89.99+shipping. Nice looking pieces, however I haven't tried them yet. I'll bust loose the retainer nuts this weekend & let you know if everything stays in one piece. I just wish that they'd chamfered the edges of the tools before they plated them. One slip of my hand would be a trip to the emergency room!

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Might want to rethink that statement. I'm about 650 miles northwest of Lousiville. You'd have to go through WI to get here.

Noted. It's ElderVampire I'm close to. Damn long workdays are taking their toll.

Back