noise supressor joby due

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
...eyelet is attached to coil primary terminal and wire is from cylinder condensor deal with crows foot that goes unnder coil bracket bolt. Static supressor, do I need it? Does it do anything? Thanks

Aspen500

Reaction score
You don't NEED that capacitor. It's mainly for radio noise suppression, especially on the AM band. Has nothing to do with the ignition function.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It won't PREVENT static on AM but it does reduce the RFI static caused by the ignition system that rises and falls with engine rpm.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It was only to filter out annoying noises, nothing to do with emergency broadcasts.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The condensor serves the same purpose as resistor spark plugs and carbon core plug wires, to reduce or eliminate radio frequency interference which will cause static, buzzing, humming, and all sorts of annoying noises from the radio. I've even ran into alternators that made a whining type sound over the speakers even with the radio turned off. That RFI can mess with electronics too but that's not much of an issue with 40 year old cars.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Radio suppresor.jpg

That little condenser does wonders for radio reception and unwanted noise in your radio. They also put one one on the alternator (or voltage regulator). They also need to put one on wipers – but I've yet to see one there (yet).

High end cars (of our era) also have mini transformers just before power wire(s) go into the radio, to also help combat electrical noise.

Are the condensers needed? That depends if you prefer to hear the engine or to hear the radio. I prefer the later.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Any place that sells parts. Usually called something like radio capacitor, ignition radio capacitor, radio noise suppressor.

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
I cannot find a noise capacitor like that pic, anywhere. My capacitor that I wrecked has an 8 inch lead wire. Napa is trying to sell me a points condensor, or a capacitor I have to change the male bullit terminal, or I have to lengthen the lead wire

Back