Old boat with a 318

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Was looking at an old '73 cruiser boat on craigslist. Guy is only asking a grand for it, and it comes with a storage trailer. He said the previous owner left it out uncovered for a couple years, and the top wood has some dry rot, but the fiberglass hull is solid. He said the head(bathroom) has a mold problem, and has never gone in there. But otherwise it floats and runs good. I might go take a look at it this weekend. I figure for a grand, worst case I have a big storage trailer and can pull the carb and ignition off the boat for the fifth, and have a spare motor to rebuild/build up..:dontknow:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Marine engines typically have different carbs and ignition as they run reverse rotation so the dizzy and cams are different along with some other parts (like starter). I say TYPICALLY, because I've seen some that run "the right" direction, usually if it's one of a twin engine boat.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Marine engines typically have different carbs and ignition as they run reverse rotation so the dizzy and cams are different along with some other parts (like starter). I say TYPICALLY, because I've seen some that run "the right" direction, usually if it's one of a twin engine boat.
I'll have to look into that, I thought that was only on a twin engined boat that one of them did.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Never seen a 318 in a boat. I have only seen the 440's in boats, and those were twins.

ramenth

Reaction score

The 318 in the old man's '70 Penn Yan is "correct" rotation. Usually, one runs reversed in twin engine boats.

You're right about the electronics. Starter has a spark arrestor and carbs are "multi-plane" (being able to work at different angles so when the nose comes up the floats still float level), as well as taking different caps, buttons, etc.

Back