Plymouth Caravelle

Aspen500

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. The whole time I've been on this site, I kept trying to remember seeing the M-body Caravelle 2 door around here back in the day and can't recall any. This was a Canada model only? I do remember Diplomat 2 drs but the only Caravelle's were 4 door front drive (k-car platform). It's a shame, the 2 door rear drive Caravelle is a sharp car!

Closest I can remember is the Gran Fury but only in a 4 door sedan body style. Like the 4 door Diplomat, most of them seemed to have red and blue lights on the roof and a Police seal on the front doors............No, I never had the honor of having one sitting behind me with the lights flashing either, with the exception of the time my brake hose blew out and Mr. Radiator said hello to Mr. Fan in a deluge rain storm after they both greeted the rear bumper of a stalled '78 Charger that appeared out of nowhere all of a sudden, back in the summer of '89. We try not to think about that one too often!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The Caravelle was indeed a Canadian only M body from 1977 to 1981. It was basically a poor man's Dodge Diplomat. When the K cars hit the Caravelle name got slapped on those. You had the Dodge Aries and the Plymouth Caravelle K cars at which point it was no longer a Canadian only model.

The Canadian Caravelle was only sold in Canada but were all USA built (I think). I say I think because without checking I guess there could have been some built in Windsor?? Mine was built in St Louis.

The three stages of The Mighty Caravelle.....

78caravelle2.jpg

80caravelle-ad.jpg

85caravelle.jpg

(Shameless plug of my Caravelle)https://youtu.be/i5p5IiTPOj4

78caravelle2.jpg

80caravelle-ad.jpg

85caravelle.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Some clarification from Wikipedia.

The M-body Gran Fury was also sold inCanada*from 1978 to 1989 as the*Plymouth Caravelle, badged "Caravelle Salon" after the midsize front-drive*Plymouth Caravelle*was released in Canada for 1983. Although the Diplomat and LeBaron appeared on the market in mid-1977, the Caravelle was introduced in the fall of 1977 as a 1978 model. It was sold only by Canadian Plymouth dealers and was not available in the U.S., though the midsize front-drive car was offered in the U.S. market starting in 1985. In addition to the sedan body style, the Canadian Caravelle was offered in 2-door coupe and 4-door station wagon form through 1982.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Gran_Fury

(Click on the "Canada" section)

Funny....that's actually my car in the pic for the 78 coupe

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Doesn't look like a Hog Town to me! lol I see (in your shameless video plug) they put in those suicide bike lanes there also.

I'm sure it says somewhere on here, but I'm too darn lazy to look, what engine is in the mighty Caravelle? Can't tell from the video, the sound quality is a bit lacking ;) Could be my crap DSL service and not the video however.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Doesn't look like a Hog Town to me! lol I see (in your shameless video plug) they put in those suicide bike lanes there also.

I'm sure it says somewhere on here, but I'm too darn lazy to look, what engine is in the mighty Caravelle? Can't tell from the video, the sound quality is a bit lacking ;) Could be my crap DSL service and not the video however.

Hogtown is the nickname for Toronto.
And in my signature you will see that my Caravelle has the mighty Super Six. Straight pipe back....obnoxious as all hell.

Aspen500

Reaction score
In your signature? Well, now that you mention it, It does! I've got to quit missing staff meetings :)

efriedrich

Reaction score
dang capn that caravelle is purty, take a pic next time you do a burn out... I like burn outs

lowbudget

Reaction score
Some clarification from Wikipedia.

The M-body Gran Fury was also sold inCanada*from 1978 to 1989 as the*Plymouth Caravelle, badged "Caravelle Salon" after the midsize front-drive*Plymouth Caravelle*was released in Canada for 1983. Although the Diplomat and LeBaron appeared on the market in mid-1977, the Caravelle was introduced in the fall of 1977 as a 1978 model. It was sold only by Canadian Plymouth dealers and was not available in the U.S., though the midsize front-drive car was offered in the U.S. market starting in 1985. In addition to the sedan body style, the Canadian Caravelle was offered in 2-door coupe and 4-door station wagon form through 1982.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Gran_Fury

(Click on the "Canada" section)

Funny....that's actually my car in the pic for the 78 coupe

So Captain is Wikipedia timely with the royalty payments for using the picture of your car? You have to love having you car all over the net though!

Back