Power steering line help

VWagon

Reaction score
Need some assistance sourcing the proper pressure side power steering line.

This winter I did the very fun /6 to 360 swap and ran into a few unforeseen challenges.

One was with the power steering pump line as you can see from the picture below. I bent it away from the exhaust manifold as much as I dare.....but it's not right.

I have scanned through pictures on rock auto to find a line that takes a right turn instead of a left out of the pump but I found them inconclusive

Anyone with knowledge of what would be the best line to solve me issues?

20220509_074631.jpg

Enchalay

Reaction score
Not a swap, but I just went thru this trying to find a replacement line. Found that the line for a 1978 Diplomat there are 2 different lines. The 4bbl line and the 2bbl lines are different. The 4bbl line goes to the right toward the fenderwell.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I think by the 80s there was only one hose. Unless there was a difference in steering box and pump between 6 and v8 you should be able to get the v8 one.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Not sure what year pump you have but 78 shows multiple hoses for v8. 2891730 and 2891566. The latter is for cars with air pump and or oil cooler. The listing shows B body but also fits F body and some others
Mopar NOS 1977-79 Plymouth Dodge B Body Power Steering Pressure Hose 2891730 | eBay
I may have a aftermarket one if you can`t find one local. The gates hose

GATES 356360

qty_down_white.png
on rockauto looks like the 2891730

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a "Metric" and an older (non-Metric) P/S pumps used on FMJ's - and I'm not sure what the break year is. I will "guess" the break year is '79, but don't quote me on that.

The Metric pumps do use metric fasteners where as the older pumps do not - so if a person can remove a pump bracket bolt (or nut) and can find out if it is indeed Metric (or not) you can know for sure.

The reason I bring this up is the P/S pressure hose is DIFFERENT, where it attaches to the P/S pump. The return hose is the same size.
The newer P/S pump fitting seams to be a better design (flare fitting vs. an O-ring) to me - but that could be debated between people.

If you get the wrong hose and have some old Saginaw P/S pumps laying around, you can change the pump fitting (metric (flare) to non-metric (O-ring)) by un-screwing the large fitting from the pump and re-attaching. Just be prepared for a small fluid mess and also make sure the valve & its spring, just behind that fitting, doesn't walk off on you. Both will generally stay in-place with fitting removal/replacement - but your experience may vary.

Now with that said, the P/S pressure hoses for all Chrysler passenger cars (not trucks or vans), from '72-89 will interchange - providing you have the same Saginaw pump fitting. With that said, there are some minor differences on how hoses are bent - to avoid things - but I haven't ran across any hose not being interchangeable - and some versions that might be more desirable. I have even seen 3-4 brands of hoses, for same vehicle, that are all bent differently - but will all still work fine

If a person has an odd setup (big block, or headers, or ...) sometimes finding a different brand hose will work (Gates vs. ...).

The important parts are to make sure the pressure has the same style for pump fitting (flare fitting vs. O-ring) and it not to leak upon install (which can be a big factor for some Chinese parts...).

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the large fitting for the Saginaw pump:
77 FSM pg 19.27 h.JPG

I don't have any pictures of the flare vs. O-ring hose fittings. The O-ring shown above is not the O-ring used on the hose.

VWagon

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! I ordered a non smog pump hose today......pictures look like it is the right angle....we will see!

Back