Propeller shaft and rear axel

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Hi all,
I carry on with my G22 and have more or less sorted out the rear bumper. Had the back of it sandblasted locally. A nice job and I have also used two layers of rust killer on the bare metal, two priming coat on top and finish now with glossy paint two layers and a coat layer coming up next week.
Howerver I need a bit of advice so any information most welcome:
In 1993 I had a new gearbox installed. The VIN number says I had A998 as from the attached photos. No change of propeller shaft as far as I remember. Rear axel 7 1/2".
I can get a 8 1/4" locally that was on a station wagen, Diplomat. Looks nice. He has the propeller shaft so complete so to speak. Gearbox 727.
Will the original propeller shaft fit or does it have to be altered? What is the difference between A998 and A727? I have not the faintest idea so please advice.
The combination A998 and the propeller shaft from A727 to the 8 1/4" has to be changed or fit straight away.
Sorry for pestering you all but I have such luck here asking for help from the friendly members.
All the very best and regards from Gunnar Schroder

Identification 4.jpg

Bakaksel 8,25 .jpg

Nummer 22.jpg

20240330_183827.jpg

20240330_183855.jpg

20240401_095151.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
If the car had a 727 and an 8 1/4, then the prop shaft/drive shaft will be too short to use with a 998 and and 8 1/4

Link: Post in thread 'Driveshaft lengths' Driveshaft lengths

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
You would need to get your current driveshaft shortened because the 8 1/4 is bigger. I thought there were measurements for how much in the last post you made about it but it is listed in the link above too.

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
I understand but a good machineshop may shorten it and weld it together as well as balancing it. I shall inquire some junkyards in Norway and Sweden about a propeller shaft to save me a lot of work. Correct me if I am wrong but the A904 gearbox number is a referance number
for the A9.... and the others?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I understand but a good machineshop may shorten it and weld it together as well as balancing it. I shall inquire some junkyards in Norway and Sweden about a propeller shaft to save me a lot of work. Correct me if I am wrong but the A904 gearbox number is a referance number
for the A9.... and the others?
Yup A904 is used sometimes when referring to the A998 and A999. The 727 is a whole other transmission

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. The penny drop now. A shorter propeller shaft for the 727 and longer for the A9 series. That means my shaft should
be a straight fit according to the picture below.

Propeller shalft 6.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
No, you have a 7 1/4 rear axle and are switching to an 8 1/4. The 8 1/4 has a longer pinion housing. The 7 1/4 drive shaft is too long. It will not fit.

I'm doing the same swap, but for a 4 door, on my Diplomat. If you try and bottom the driveshaft out and force it to work, there will be no room for movement on the slip yoke and you'll destroy your transmission.

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Point taken! Brilliant and I will find a company that should be able to shorten it about 1.6" meaning around 40 mm. Finding a proper one
should be difficult over here as Diplomat was not sold in Sweden and the G22 are a rare bird.

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
I have just found a company locally, only a couple of miles away from me who can deal with the problem. Cardanservice.no

Thanks for all help so far. Lots of good wishes to you all in this forum

Duke5A

Reaction score
You probably already know this, but you'll need to swap slip yokes between the driveshafts you have. 904 and 727 use different yokes.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the situation over there is, but if the 727 is available, it just may be simpler to just take the 727 along with the drive shaft and 8 1/4" rear end, assuming it is a small block 727. 727 is heavier and will have enough torque capacity to handle any small block modifications you can make.

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Thanks for your help and it is a 3.18 in the car if that is a small block. Could be a good idea though! I will ask the person for a decent price
for the lot. My A998 works well since I swapped the gearbox. Will check it over to make sure it is a A998 as the car was laid up for 22 years.
Drives and run well but a slight noise in the rear axel.

Back