PS Pulley

CM360

Reaction score
I need to slow down the power steering pump on my '80 Aspen. The car runs stock eliminator with a 318 4bb. I need to reduce as much frictional loss from the PS pump. I have a larger pulley for the alternator to slow it down. Looking for the same with the PS pump. It is too costly at this time to switch over to FFI steering . Very few manual boxes were ever made for the F body ad I have not come across one let alone a steering shaft. Any thoughts? Thanks

72Dodge

Reaction score
Why can't you use an a/b body manual steering box, then just extend the column? According to the parts #'s I'm looking at, the replacement part for a/b/f/m/j is the same steering box... or am I wrong? I'll have to pull out my a-body manual box to see if it fits. Then of course would need to determine if the correct pitman arm is available (if indeed it fits, but they are different). At any rate, this is what I was planning to try to convert to manual.

CM360

Reaction score
I thought that only the B body will work. With a box rebuild and coupler the $ starts to add up.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yes, the couplers are expensive. If you just want a regular manual box, look at rockauto for example. Not too bad. If you want a Flaming River or similar, it can get spendy. I still didn't get out my A box to see if it fits, sorry. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

NoCar340

Reaction score
The manual steering box is the same. The one I had in my LeBaron was out of a '72 Duster. The only difference is the pitman arm, which is still available new from several sources for the FMJs. The Moog number is K7100 if memory serves. Manual boxes almost never require rebuilding. The lower steering shaft from a B-body would likely give you the length you need without the expense of one of those adapters, and other than the body itself, the coupler parts are an inexpensive kit from Mopar.

72Dodge

Reaction score
The manual steering box is the same. The one I had in my LeBaron was out of a '72 Duster. The only difference is the pitman arm, which is still available new from several sources for the FMJs. The Moog number is K7100 if memory serves. Manual boxes almost never require rebuilding. The lower steering shaft from a B-body would likely give you the length you need without the expense of one of those adapters, and other than the body itself, the coupler parts are an inexpensive kit from Mopar.

This info helped me out too. I had figured out last night that the manual steering box I got would fit, but wasn't sure about the Pitman. I was placing a rockauto.com order anyway, so I ordered up the pitman arm also. You are correct about the Moog K7100 part number (I got a different brand, 2 different ones actually, but that was the Moog #).

Back