Rear axle/ gear help 1980 mirada

cowtipper

Reaction score
I have never changed gearing before , have done a ton of motor work but the rear scares me.lol
I have the 8 1/4 rear and was wondering if anyone would know of one that would be a direct bolt in but with better gearing or would this be something a newbie could attempt on his own?
Mt apologies for being green but after the shop quoted 1500 if I buy the parts, I am looking at alternatives.

Camtron

Reaction score
That’s nuts. I spent $260 having a small Jeep shop put my rear end together.
It’s not particularly hard, just needs to be done with precision. If you have dial indicators (and actually know how to use/read them) and the tools to do it, you can get a manual that will walk you through it step by step.

cowtipper

Reaction score
hmm almost tempting to try, I have access to everything I need and manuals. I thought that price was crazy considering I offered to take it out and to him.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Toughest part is getting the pinion depth correct if you don't have the tools for setting it up. Usually you can reuse the shims from the old pinion and be darn close though. Same goes for backlash. Get it right and all is well. Get it wrong and it'll sing like a robin.

Camtron

Reaction score
hmm almost tempting to try, I have access to everything I need and manuals. I thought that price was crazy considering I offered to take it out and to him.
Definitely crazy.
On the occasion, I’ll see the same local guy on CL listing complete 8.75” that have been blasted and refinished with brand new gears/sure grip, complete with new brake hardware for $1,200. Which to me, seems just about right when you start pricing out parts and factor in a few hundred for his labor. But, again that’s for a complete rear end, not just a set up.
The worlds gone mad, I tell ya.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Yikes, $1500 is a lot for that operation.

The first thing that needs to happen is to find out what your current gear ratio is. Some of these cars came with a tag located under one of the 10 rear cover bolts and looks like this:
Axle Tag.png

That tag goes missing often and somewhere around that time, Chrysler quit using them (so no worries if your tag is missing).

The next step is to remove the differential inspection cover and look for stamped numbers on the ring gear. The stamping will give you the part number (blue arrow - not important), the ratio (in a x.xx format, red circle) and date the ring gear was made on (white line).
7.25 3.23.jpg

With the cover off, see if you have a limited slip carrier. If you have one, then see if yours is sill working. Personally, I DO NOT recommend rebuilding any Chrysler rear differential without installing limited slip (too many advantages and almost no disadvantages (except for cost)). For friends or family, I WILL NOT build one without limited slip.

Chrysler 8¼” differentials (all) came with the following ratios:
2.2, 2.4, 2.7, 2.9. 3.0, 3.2, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9 and 4.1. Most FMJ's used 2.2, 2.4, 2.7 and 2.9.
I like to leave off the last digit off because sometimes the actual ratio varies over the years. One example is 3.21 (45/14) and 3.23 (42/13). In this case, the 0.02 difference is not worth arguing about (you will not be able to notice it).
The 3.0 (43/14 = 3.07) was only used in Jeeps, but will fit into any rear Chrysler 8¼”.

The reason I ask on current gear ratio has to do with your existing carrier. If you have a 2.2 or 2.4 and plan on going to anything else, you WILL have to replace the carrier, as well (another good reason to upgrade to limited slip).

For general street drivability, I recommend 2.9, 3.0 or 3.2. 3.5's are fun if you plan on city only driving. The 2.9's in my '77 318 wagon is also fun (but not as much as 3.5's), but I do a lot of highway driving with it.
I just purchased a set of 3.0's for my '86 Fifth Ave. The 2.2's in it is like dragging a battleship anchor behind the car at take offs
I can literally drive a couple circles around.my '86 Fifth Ave from a takeoff, with my '77 wagon (both equipped with stock 318 2 bbl's). The only difference is 2.2 vs 2.9 gear ratio.

Note: all Chrysler rear 8¼” ring/pinion gear sets will interchange. That said, the front (4*4) differential gear sets are reverse cut will not work.
The bearing kits might depend on what year your vehicle is (possibly).
The carriers have a small difference on axle spline count ('68-96 are 27-spline, and '97 and newer are 29-spline). If using an open carrier (not limited slip) and your existing spider gears are fine, then that will not matter). Most limited slip carriers, the spider gear sets were not made to be interchangeable.

If you change the differential gear ratio (or tire diameter) then your speedometer gear will need to be changed as well – but that is for a different topic.

If you lived closer to me, I would say come on down and bring a 6-pack. We could get the gears changed out one afternoon and you would be back on your way. There might be others in the area willing to do the same – but I can't comment as to who. I would look for a Mopar club in your area and ask around.
Changing rear differential gears is not that hard of a job – but it is a huge help to have someone there who has done it before to either show you how its done, or to supervise.

One last thing, If you are planning on some very hard driving (ie: clutch drops, neutral slams and so forth) where the rear differential will see a lot of hard and sudden impacts like that, I would also recommend getting a crush sleeve kit (using metal shims to replace the crush sleeve). If you just plan on normal driving on a /6 or 318 2-bbl, then the normal crush sleeve will work fine.
8.25 Crush Sleeve.png

Normal crush sleeve
8.25 Crush Sleeve Elim.png

Aftermarket crush sleeve elimination kit.

You have to remove both rear axle shafts to perform any differential work, Check the axle shafts where they make contact at the axle bearings (and axle seals). If you can catch a fingernail at either surface, then you will also need to replace the axle bearings (arrows).
8.25 axle.jpg

Until recently, you had to also replace the axle shafts, but the aftermarket has came out with new bearings that contact a different area of the existing axle – which is very nice.
Centric 414_68000 b.jpg

Note: it does take a slide hammer and a special tool to extract the old axle bearings.
Axle Bearing Adapter.jpg

A person might be able to rent this (maybe).

BudW

cowtipper

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that write up, I will pop the cover off and start by seeing what I have. I do a lot of back road driving "car is only for my enjoyment" so I have hills and just want it to get moving a bit more at take off, rebuilt the 318 and its still a dog getting going , everyone says go with a 360 but I grew up with the 318 so I want to keep it. Again thank you, I am sure I will be asking more questions.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Toughest part is getting the pinion depth correct if you don't have the tools for setting it up. Usually you can reuse the shims from the old pinion and be darn close though. Same goes for backlash. Get it right and all is well. Get it wrong and it'll sing like a robin.

...and once it starts to sing it will never stop. I never had the inclination to setup my own axle because of the tools I would need and the risk of junking a gear set if not set exactly right. Then again I've got four axle shops to choose from within 30m of my house. That original quote is just nuts.

Wonder if it would be possible to locate a factory AHB rear axle. Getting real hard to find though.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
About the only way to junk a ring/pinion gear set is either drop it, heat it with a torch, damage from a bearing failure, from metal debris (which comes from a bearing failure) or just ruining it without sufficient lube (which usually results in bearing failure),

I have fixed a few differentials that were setup incorrectly and they ended up quiet (ie; normal sounding).

The 8¼, 8¾” and 9¼” are not too hard to work with.
The 7¼” and Dana 60's are a different animal. Those require a case spreader and a large assortment of adjustment shims to get correct
Case Spreader.jpg

BudW

Back