Recalled & Fined BS

slant6billy

Reaction score
Jeep Z J.jpg
I had been on the Jersey Turnpike in 2003 and wham. Dumbass behind me looked down and slammed the jeep. The tread piece on the bumper popped off. She totaled her little Toyota. I guess my jeep did not want to die that day. Would all this just be a ploy to get foot traffic into the dealerships? Typical consumer buys jeep or Ram (Dodge) back in the day and meets the recall criteria today. He or she drives it right over to the dealership and wants dealership to buy it back. Dealerships are in the bidness to deal in automobiles and make money doing it. So they offer to buy it back at a harsh depreciation price. Not exactly the high dollar he or she consumer thought. Now the dealer wants customer to feel happy (not be happy). So they offer to sell a new Jeep or truck to the consumer and can bump up the value on the buy back.... Pretty slick on paper, anyway. and good luck on that fine Goobermint? Again, only a fine on paper. I'll take a recalled ram, I could use a nice 5.7 Hemi or a 5.9 limited Grand ZJ or an other 5.2 Grand ZJ. Yeah a bitch to work on, but a blast to drive. I'm going to ride in the back of a pick up truck, just for shits and giggles

Jeep Z J.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
I get a kick out that. The Jeep Grand Cherokee's affected are (from what I saw anyways) 1993-1998. Well, not sure about your part of the country but around here you could count all the '93-'98 Jeeps (and for that matter any make and model from the '90's)on one hand. Most are long since rotted to nothing and don't exist anymore.

I don't understand the fine thing. It's not Chrysler's fault only 1.9% of the affected Jeeps were actually brought in for the recall. They can't force someone to have a recall done. Sillier too is the fact that those Jeeps met all safety regulations in effect when they were built. Maybe Chevy should recall all remaining '73-'86 pickups with those stupid side saddle fuel tanks. How about every vehicle ever built with the fuel tank at the rear? For the NHTSA to force a recall of vehicles that are 16-22 years old is just plain ridiculous. Funny how Chrysler gets fined "for poor response to safety problems and issuing recalls" but what about GM and their ignition switches, Toyota and the "unintended acceleration" and how those were dealt with by the manufacturer. Why wasn't Toyota fined? Oh no, we couldn't fine the almighty Toyota Motor Company now could we? What about all those early 2000's Chevy/GMC pickups with the brake line rot problem? That's about a $1,200 job and a huge safety problem yet, no recall. The NHTSA did a 5 year study and concluded "road salt is the cause of the brake line corrosion". No really?LOL. Wpouldn't have anything to do with the cheapo ass brake line they used and the utterly STUPID where they're routed and how they're routed. Oh that's OK, it's GM and we'll just let it slide. GM, you know,,,,Government Motors? Chrysler has been picked on and singled out over all other manufactures when they make a mistake or supposedly take to long to issue a recall, etc.., since the beginning of time. Why is that? Funny how the media always makes a huge deal out of something like this but neglect to mention all the good stuff from Chrysler which out weighs any bad by a factor of 1,000 to 1.

You know, Chrysler is looked upon by the media and a lot of a-holes that post comments after articles on web sites the same way we are (by we I mean F-M-J people) looked upon by the so called Mopar enthusiast community.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I'm all better now.

Back