Redhead steering box

picklesgarage

Reaction score
Has anyone used them or know of someone that has? I was recommended them from a co-worker. Said he has had less problems in his truck with it then another one with a borgeson unit. I was just going to use a unit from rockauto since they are cheap, but you get what you pay for. Thoughts?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I would steer away (no pun intended) from a reman steering box from a parts store if possible. The quality is usually questionable. That applies to Mopar as well as GM and Ford. A reman from an authorized reman vendor bought through Mopar (or Ford/GM) is a different story. Those are normally very good. Yes, you do get what you pay for. Just speaking from experience at work.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I've seen them mentioned on 4x4 forums with positive remarks. What do they run? I can vouch for the Borgeson boxes, but can understand not wanting to drop $1k between the box and all the fixings. With how much steering plays into road driving enjoyment it was worth it though for me.

I would also recommend staying away from parts store rebuilds - complete crap.

picklesgarage

Reaction score
Duke5A my co worker has a 99 Ram 2500 with a Cummings the he runs @ New England Dragway and on the street. Not my cup of tea but to each there own.

I usually try not to use a ton of aftermarket parts when it can be helped or afforded. i thought there was a larger difference with the price but its more the core charge.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Duke5A my co worker has a 99 Ram 2500 with a Cummings the he runs @ New England Dragway and on the street. Not my cup of tea but to each there own.

I usually try not to use a ton of aftermarket parts when it can be helped or afforded. i thought there was a larger difference with the price but its more the core charge.

If you're looking for a factory box, then there really isn't anything better than Firm Feel. I've used Steer and Gear before as well. Box was good quality rebuild, but not better than what the factory had in terms of road feel.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Duke5A which steer and gear box did you use? They mention four different levels on their boxes.

I used their stage 1 box. This was 15 years ago and I just needed a replacement box and not a performance piece. It never leaked and felt a little bit tighter than what it replaced, so a good quality rebuilt box. You can try their heavier boxes if you'd like. Go for a stage 3.

Back