Whattya think of:

1. Marvel Mystery Oil
2. Lucas Engine Treatment
3. K&N air filters

just wondering...

Mr C

Reaction score
1. Never used it
2. I've used the oil lubricating additive, on some especially high mile engines and I believe it helped control the blue smoke. Never used the Engine Treatment. I have used wynns engine treatment with good results.
3. Never used one...my engines are stockers and do fine with paper.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
1. Never tried it but a lot of people swear by it.
I know nothing of it myself.

2. I put a small bottle in every few tankfuls. Seems to make a difference. Idle is a tad smoother and the engine seems happier.

3. Like Mr. C my engines are stockers.
I generally use Napa Gold air filters.
Good filter at a good price.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I don't really trust any "Magic in a bottle". I have a K & N filter element and K & N chrome lid ( a yard sale find for 3 bucks) sitting on a bigblock dual snorkel base - the K& N was missing the bottom. It grabs the nice cold air from the 6 bbl hood scoop.
100_3300.jpg
I notice some really cool 1970s carb noises with big 14 inch open element and no bogging on the Edelbrock 750.

so as for fuel additives- anything to combat ethanol is a good thing but follow directions. Anything you add could damage your sending unit - like 10 bottles at once.

Like I said, I don't add anything to my oils- straight Valvoline 10W30, Trans- Mopar ATF, Coolant premixed Prestone 50/50, Power steering- mopar only. Never believed in power in abottle, stop leak is what shady car sellers put in something to make it look like it is a good deal and anything else is just a week away from doing the job right and tearing the engine down to fix the problem.

100_3300.jpg

greymouser7

Reaction score
K& N filters are better because they flow more air when they get dirty-proven scientifically by an engineer & famous engine builder named David Vizard. If you drive in the clean air of the North (Nebraska, Montana, lots of Canada) in a low compression V8 or slant 6, it probably is over kill vice changing your filter often. Spectre and others might be another viable alternative.

Fuel cleaners & oil cleaners are not usually/or-as necessary anymore due to detergents in oil. A 1/4-1/3 a can of Seafoam in every other gas tank should be sufficient. I personally do not run 87 octane where I live because it is not as filtered anymore (pump some into a gas can and look at the flecks of tar floating around {in bright sunlight}as your test where you live) and leaves people stranded with clogged fuel filters and pumps) I am referring to the 87 octane 10% ethanol that I have available.

Either Seafoam (as a detergent), Stabil (as a fuel stabilizer for long term lack-of-usage), or a water remover is about all you need as an additive for fuel. As mentioned above, something that combats the water combining with the ethanol is also beneficial.

Let someone like Ramenth give you hard data about oil additives.

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
Call it a hobby. I scan yard sales like a 90 yearold woman. I don't drink, watch sports, or chase strippers. Yep, I am a 90 yearold woman of sorts
150523-214340.jpg
I grabbed these unopened STP cans from a yardsale last week for 50 cents each. Just cool nostalgic stuff. Department store from 40 years ago J M Fields sold these for 99 cents, so I got a good deal would you say. I put them in the back window with my dispaly items for carshows.

150523-214340.jpg

Back