rly neede ur guys help

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
idk what going on heres a run down of whats happening srry if it soiunds confusing. it has been a lil hotter latly 70degrees well when my car gets heated and up above the ok tewmp line it starts sputtering only in drive ! neutral i can rev rev rev but hit drive and gas it a lil it sputters and dies took my so long to get home dyeing in intersections nothings wrong from looking only thing is my ballest resistor is really hot like burnt myself hot.the new coil is hot aswell should i not be running this accel super stock coil with the ballest or what? i would let her cool down for ten mins and then back to new running fine well i was trying to get her started after a few trys my gf said she saw a poof or smoke from underthe hood i need this fixedim so weirded out and this is my only driver. help me plz!

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Too many possibilities....ballast resistor should read 5 ohms on top and 1.9 to 2 ohms on the bottom....you could have smoked the distributer pickup...the ECU and or Voltage regulator...the distributor pickup should read 300 ohms then open then 300 ohms again as you spin it around..you will need to remove it to test this..coil shoud read high resistance to open from the center to the pos or neg of the coil...ECU...there is really no voltmeter test to determine if it's bad or not..carry spares...try the old coil and any spares you have one at a time...good luck

crayzcuda

Reaction score
This is from the 1977 Chrysler shop manual. This would be somewhere to start if you have changed any of these parts recently, they may be your problem if you didn't have this problem before you changed them. A new part doesn't always mean its good and some people sell used parts cheap because they couldn't get them to work right.

Were some of the problems you had previously fixed? Some of them seem to be over lapping. Make a list of parts you have installed in the last six months and post. This will help us help you.

Image (652x800).jpg

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
found this about this coil do i need a diffrent ohm ballest?

Super Stock Coil; Primary Resist 1.2 Ohms Secondary 8.9 k Ohms; Turn Ratio 100:1; Max Voltage 42000V; Chrome;

This universal 12 V heavy duty coil is guaranteed to outperform stock units. It delivers over 25 percent more energy output. It also has a chrome finish.

This item carries CARB E.O. Number D-221 for use in California.

Fits stock-type round coil bracket.
  • Primary Resist 1.2 Ohms Secondary 8.9 k Ohms
  • Turn Ratio 100:1
  • Max Voltage 42000V
  • Chrome

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
ok so i may have fixed the problem not for sure but i changed the voltage regulator to the stock one. i changed it to the i changed to the aftermarket one thinking it would be better maybe it was just going out time for it this problem goes off and on but i drove and turned it off and drove again once it got hot from sitting and repeated for 3times and no stumble one other thing i did was the 2 bigger size ports on the edelbrock intake under the throttle linkage theres also 2 bolts in there to well one looked like it was leaking oil and i redid both with thread tape and stuff. idk if that did anything but i couldnt find a diagram one of those holes could be a vacum port so maybe was a vacum thing but i dont think so cuz it was off and on did it one day didnt do it for 2 days then it did it yesterday didnt do it today cept one time while cruiseing it tried to stumble.

checked the ohms on the ballest bottom said like 2ohms and top was like 6.8 but then the fuse blew so i need to recheck . whats ur method of checking

thanks guys anything else u could think of since idk if its totaly fixed just remeber it goes off and on when it wants

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
found this about this coil do i need a diffrent ohm ballest?

Super Stock Coil; Primary Resist 1.2 Ohms Secondary 8.9 k Ohms; Turn Ratio 100:1; Max Voltage 42000V; Chrome;

This universal 12 V heavy duty coil is guaranteed to outperform stock units. It delivers over 25 percent more energy output. It also has a chrome finish.

This item carries CARB E.O. Number D-221 for use in California.

Fits stock-type round coil bracket.
  • Primary Resist 1.2 Ohms Secondary 8.9 k Ohms
  • Turn Ratio 100:1
  • Max Voltage 42000V
  • Chrome
1.2 ohms is negative to positive...8.9k ohms is neg/pos to the center of the coil...ballast resister has nothing to do with the coil

Back