FOUND Seat Belt Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

383scuda

Reaction score
Contact seller
Need one of these for my 1978 Aspen. Prefer black and not damaged. Just the cover.

aspen seat belt.jpg

69-

Reaction score
Fixed mine (tan) already three times with super glue and a sharp knife. Holds so-and-so long, only.
Good luck.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I got a pair from Deconstructor Jim about 4 years ago (not an option anymore). He sent one set but they were the wrong ones, and then we figure out which one's would fit, and he sent the correct ones. What I had to do was cut the 4 good plastic tabs off the wrong ones and super glue them to the other set. That involved cutting a small square out of each corner with the tabs, then carefully cutting the same size square out of the others and gluing them in. Turned out good, can't even tell but dang, it was a tedious project! Four years and so far, so good! The original red belts were already missing the covers when the car was 7 years old, and black set (came with the white interior) didn't have any when I got them around '91 or '92. Wonder what engineer thought those tiny plastic tabs were a good idea, lol.

They would be an ideal repro item that I'm sure they'd sell tons of. Wouldn't think it'd be all that expensive to tool up for them.

Last edited:

DCAspen

Reaction score
Both of mine are in the console waiting for repair.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Some of them are the same as other makes. I think one of the more flat style the 80s ones used I got out of a Ford.

383scuda

Reaction score
I had one 15 years ago and can't find it. Seems like some square body Dodge trucks (and Ram vans) might be the same.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Now THIS would make a good 3D printed part
I would agree with you . . . almost.
I purchased a 3D printer, in order to make replacements for my wagon (among other things).
A 3D printer does a decent job to make a prototype to then use as a mold for injection moldings - but is not quite good enough for production sales.
For one-and-done parts, it can be good enough.

3D printers need a good and preferably long flat surface for your print job to stick to the printer bed. I have one of the broken belt covers by my computer right by my and there is not a good flat surface there to make a print from. The curved side (edge) almost can be used - but even then, you will need to do some filing/sanding to get the edge closest to printer bed, back to a rounded edge.
Of the parts to use for 3D printing, that belt cover is just not very compatible.
BudW

Edit: next, is you need to make a 3-D picture of the part for printer to make prints from, and that is another hurdle to leap. Once you have the 3D file, you then need to convert it do something the printer can actually use, which in the case of my 3D printer is ".gcode" (which is also used for abrasive water cutting, and other computer controlled machines that use that kind of programming). Converting to ".gcode" is not that hard to do.
Getting an decent 3-D picture is different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back