Space Geek

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'll admit ... I'm a space geek. Born 20 years too late for Apollo and 20 years too early for Space X.
But in this house as my husband approaches end of life, he still takes great joy in the joy I take from watching the Space X launches.

So go here:

and at 1:24:40 or thereabouts, you can watch the rocket as it is returning to earth. Marvel at the fact that almost a third of one of the adjustable flaps burn away -- but it and the other two were still working well enough to have that super heavy rocket slow down, re-orient, and hover prior to splash down..

That's just too kewl for words. And made one more memory for an old married couple to share.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I remember watching the moon landing in 1969, all in living black and white. Sure, I was only 5 at the time, still remember it like it happened yesterday. Suddenly I feel old, lol.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I was 3 at the time. Family watched it in black n white TV

69-

Reaction score
I was four months old. I have no idea what my family did. Must have been cool though.

Welcome back, BudW.

Ark

Reaction score
Streaming live video from a reentering spacecraft at all is incredible. Never been done before, the plasma from ionizing the air cuts off radio comms with the ground. SpaceX got it to work because there are Starlink sats orbiting directly over the spacecraft, and it punches such a big hole in the atmosphere that there's a plasma-free spot directly behind it where radio signals can come and go.

Back