Stalling Issue

randomguy

Reaction score
Haven't drove my new purchase at all other than around the lot. This thing is pretty clean and original. Anyways, here's the issue with the car. The car starts fine when cold. Pump three times and it fires right up. Fast idle it runs fine. If you kick it off of the choke it will idle for about ten minutes just fine but, once warmed up the car will just stall. Sometimes it start back up and then just die. It won't start back up until it cools down which presents a potential vapor lock issue?

My thought is a carburetor issue perhaps with the floats or something sticking inside. It is the original 8385S 2BBL BDD with Feedback looks to have never been rebuilt. At first I thought it was a coil issue but, I have already replaced the coil and fuel filter. Tested the computer already with another good one and same issue. What everyone elses thoughts on this? Would you say a carburetor issue? Thank you in advance.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Haven't drove my new purchase at all other than around the lot. This thing is pretty clean and original. Anyways, here's the issue with the car. The car starts fine when cold. Pump three times and it fires right up. Fast idle it runs fine. If you kick it off of the choke it will idle for about ten minutes just fine but, once warmed up the car will just stall. Sometimes it start back up and then just die. It won't start back up until it cools down which presents a potential vapor lock issue?

My thought is a carburetor issue perhaps with the floats or something sticking inside. It is the original 8385S 2BBL BDD with Feedback looks to have never been rebuilt. At first I thought it was a coil issue but, I have already replaced the coil and fuel filter. Tested the computer already with another good one and same issue. What everyone elses thoughts on this? Would you say a carburetor issue? Thank you in advance.

could be the carb, once it kicks of the choke circuit it might be starving for fuel. I'm sure you're well aware it doesn't take long for carbs to get all gummed up and varnished on modern gas. you could try taking the air cleaner off and spraying starter fluid directly down the throttle bodies when it usually would stall. If it stays running, then the carbs probably just need a good thourough cleaning ..

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
could be the carb, once it kicks of the choke circuit it might be starving for fuel. I'm sure you're well aware it doesn't take long for carbs to get all gummed up and varnished on modern gas. you could try taking the air cleaner off and spraying starter fluid directly down the throttle bodies when it usually would stall. If it stays running, then the carbs probably just need a good thourough cleaning ..

I second this.
Ethanol laden gas is notorious for clogging things up.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I third this. If at all possible, use ethanol free. I know, not available everywhere..........Lucky here, most premium around here is ethanol free and a few stations have added ethanol free regular 87 octane (it's 20 cents/gal higher priced but worth it). Most swapped their E85 for ethanol free 87 octane REAL gasoline.

slant6billy

Reaction score
get some STABIL ( Marine use and start putting it in every other tank fill up). Some of my injected stuff is running crappy lately too

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I third this. If at all possible, use ethanol free. I know, not available everywhere..........Lucky here, most premium around here is ethanol free and a few stations have added ethanol free regular 87 octane (it's 20 cents/gal higher priced but worth it). Most swapped their E85 for ethanol free 87 octane REAL gasoline.

The price they charge for gas up here would make it seem like they're giving it away to you guys below our border.

But I still run nothing but insanely priced ethanol free premium in all three of my cars. They run a thousand times better, way better gas mileage and I don't have to deal with gummed up carburetors or fuel components. More than worth the extra money in my opinion.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Oh, I agree 100% Captain. Use only ethanol free premium in the Aspen and usually ethanol free 87 in the Dakota, even though it's EFI. Actually the "up to 10%" stuff is more like 0-5% ethanol in reality.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Oh, I agree 100% Captain. Use only ethanol free premium in the Aspen and usually ethanol free 87 in the Dakota, even though it's EFI. Actually the "up to 10%" stuff is more like 0-5% ethanol in reality.

Not sure if that's the ratio of carrot juice in ours but worth checking out up here. I'd feed it to the Toyoundaiondauraissan but never the Mopars.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Check your intake vacuum it changes when warmed up and the carb should be cleaned then adjusted with the engine fully warmed up. And I also agree that ethanol gums up the fuel system and makes anything rubber swell up.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Check and make sure the carb to manifold nuts are tight and that you do not have a vacuum leak there. I use starting fluid to check for leaks but you can also use carb cleaner.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Your problem sounded familiar but couldn't place it, then it hit me. A few years ago my dad had the same problem with his '62 Fury (318 Poly 2 bbl). It would start fine but once it warmed up would start running erratic and then quit. Actually, for a minute or so it sounded kind of cool, like it had a "big" cam, lol. He monitored ignition and it was fine, spark never went away. You could see fuel pumping into the clear fuel filter. When it started to stall, we sprayed carb cleaner in the carb and it sped right up. Pulled the carb apart and it looked like new inside, nothing plugged. Running out of possible culprits, he changed the fuel pump. Poof,,,,,,,,fixed. Not sure if the check valve in the pump was allowing fuel to essentially be pump both ways or ???????????

Not saying this is what's wrong with yours but it's an idea anyways.

randomguy

Reaction score
Found the culprit. It was rubber fuel lines underneath the car pinching shut. Replaced and now to tackle the off idle stumble issue.

randomguy

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. The timing was checked but, it doesn't mean the chain wouldn't cause the issue.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. The timing was checked but, it doesn't mean the chain wouldn't cause the issue.

Heard from a few people that as soon as they did the chain and added the tensioner the stumble was gone.

I've got a slight one in the Fifth so I'll be doing mine soon.

randomguy

Reaction score
I'll see what happens. I'm going to take the car for a drive Monday and see what happens.

randomguy

Reaction score
Okay, turned out to be the carburetor. For now, all is well.

Back