Steering column

dipin87

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Got a question for anyone that can help. My sons 87 Diplomat has tilt steering and the column is coming apart at the joint in the column where the tilt steering is at. How do I fix this??????????????????? Really need some help on this one very soon. Pictures would be great if you have them.

Thank You,
Ken

1976RR

Reaction score
"IF i do recall" ... you need to disassemble column to point of seeing cage that houses ball joint ... at that point you will find 3-4 torx bits that you SHOULD be able to remove with a 1/4 drive ( and torx bit ).... loctite bolts prior to install ... you may have to maneuver joint in different position to access all bolts ...

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
you will have to take the steering wheel off and the inside of column.You might be able to reach the torx bits with a 1/4 inch ratchet drive and long extension.

dipin87

Reaction score
Okay I got the steering wheel off but how do you remove the I think they call it the lock plate.

dodgeum

Reaction score
you will need a tool called a lock plate compresser... it is an inexpensive tool... i bought one at my local NAPA store... it pushes down the lock plate so you can then remove the retaining clip thats in the column...

jasperjacko

Reaction score
2 oz of c-4 sounds about right. Hope this helps lol

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
once you get the lock plate pushed down and retaining clip off,slip the lock plate up the shaft, then use you screwdriver to unscrew the turn signal housing.You may have to remove your ignition switch,which is not hard to do.Simply push down on the little "clip" inside the column and slide the ignition out of the hole.That should give you more access to your tilt coupler.

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
you will need a tool called a lock plate compresser... it is an inexpensive tool... i bought one at my local NAPA store... it pushes down the lock plate so you can then remove the retaining clip thats in the column...
Autozone has that on their tool rental list also.

dipin87

Reaction score
Okay get it fixed or thanks so much for all the replys will be giving it a shot in couple of days. I'll let everyone know if I get it fixed or I do need the 2oz of c4 as another person suggested for the fix.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Be careful when appling pressure to the lock plate it will bend easily . Once you get the signal indicator switch out the way look through the column to locate the the torx screws . If you can get them out put some loctie on them so you won't have to do it again . Ok ! It's only a " pita " if it's your first time .

Back