Suburban Compressor

Justwondering

Reaction score
On my way to fixing the Fifth Avenue, I first have to get the Suburban checked.

Mechanic has agreed to check everything, tell me whats wrong, let me fix it and then return it to him so he can double check my work as I learn.

Everything on the Suburban is in good shape... probably needs rear brakes in about 20,000 miles. Only problem is the A/C compressor needs to be replaced.

Told me to remove the belts, take off the compressor, drain the oil, measure the oil, put replacement oil in and put it back on the vehicle. Ditto with the belt, then bring it back to him to draw a vacuum and charge the system.

How do you decide what type of compressor to get (new, used, what brand??). Other than looking at a price tag, I have no idea how to select one.
--- Post updated ---
I did ask if I needed to replace the drier or the expansion valve. He said no. It still had some coolant in it so he saw no need to replace those items. Just the compressor.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Need a bit more information.
I suspect a Chevrolet (or GMC), but it might be a Plymouth.

BudW

1977 Plymouth Surburban.GIF

Same page - closeup.GIF

Justwondering

Reaction score
BudW -- are you saying you can't read my mind? I'm shocked!
--- Post updated ---
Let me try that again...
2003 Suburban 1500 LS LT Z71

Aspen500

Reaction score
What to buy depends on what compressor you've got. In a lot of cases a brand new one isn't much more than a rebuilt one. If you go rebuilt, try to get the best one available. Some of the so called rebuilt compressors on the market are crap. Stick with a name brand and it'll probably be OK but from experience (auto tech for over 30 years) go with a new OEM one if you can afford it. It'll be cheaper in the long run.
I looked up a 2003 Suburban on Rock Auto.com for the heck of it and an AC-Delco (OEM) new compressor is only about $242-$275 depending on if it has rear A/C or not. Oddly, the without rear A/C one is more than the with rear A/C.
Price is higher than the aftermarket brands BUT the Delco one will be a direct bolt on, the aftermarket replacements may not be without additional parts or whatever. A little more money to save a whole bunch of grief, lol!
2003 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 1500 5.3L V8 A/C Compressor | RockAuto

Darth-Car

Reaction score
First off we need to figure out why it died. Many of these trucks have rear A/C. The lines that go under the chassis tend to go bad causing the refrigerant to drain, and contaminants to get into the system. It is so much cheaper to cap off, and disco those rear lines, and keep the truck with front A/C only.

If you are pulling the compressor, you are opening the system. Get rid of the dryer, and the expansion valve at the same time. It just makes sense to save your new compressor.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Makes sense.
I pick up the Suburban tomorrow (wednesday), so I can better answer questions about what is in it and if it has the 2nd unit in the back. Honestly, this was my brother's car, then my dad's backup, and now its my doctor visit vehicle.

Its basically used twice every 3 months to take two people to doctor visits. Other than that it sits and only occasionally goes to get groceries. But it has to have an a/c. Both these guys have no thermoregulation left, so they are the temperature of their surroundings. When it gets too hot or too cold outside, they struggle to breath and their hearts get stressed.

I really leaned to a new compressor. A decent boneyard is over 80 miles away (one-way) and that extra trip expense just about negates any savings you have for buying used. As well as I would be taking my chances on a used one.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
New is the only way with a compressor. No reason to buy others problems.

I thought the dually was the doctor run truck?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Dually is the rock hauler.
Have a friend down here that runs a granite/marble shop and I get his drop-offs to use for roadbase. (But have used it for doctor run since a/c died in suburban).

Chevy is the 4x4 that can pull everything else out of the mud.

Suburban is for doctor runs.

Tractor is for the farm.

Dodge (which is not listed) is sitting and molding. Husband only recently remarked he will probably never be able to drive it again. So there is hope I can send it to the nephew for his first truck.

Fifth Avenue is the feel good, fancy car for driving around in once the a/c is fixed.
--- Post updated ---
Headed out to pick up the suburban and run over to the parts house... more details later this afternoon.
--- Post updated ---
okay
Got a quote on the compressor from the local parts shop
ac delco part 15-20941 is 345.58 plus tax (ouch)
4 seasons part 78376 is 264.06

Can get the same ac delco from amazon for: 249 with no shipping cost and have to wait for it to arrive ... which is fine.

Chrysler goes in on Monday for mechanical review

Back