Symptons of Lean Burn Failure ???

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Ask for a two barrel rebuilt carb for a 1968 Dodge Dart with a 318. That's what I did also with the MSD ready to run distributor. I was able to remove a big hunk of junk wiring.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Lean burn has a "feedback carb" (it's partially controlled by the LB)
You need to replace it with a normal "non feedback" one.

slant6billy

Reaction score
My 79 f has the 5 wire mopar chrome box (big ballast resistor) conversion. My Dad's 83 5th had the lean burn with a lifetime warranty on the replacement computer..... try to find that one folks. What he and I came up with was there was this flat wire mesh like a ground strap near the back of the engine. I noticed at some point after the 2nd replacement of the computer, that the mesh had deteriorated to almost not being there. I rigged up something with some thing from an electrical supply house, but that did not work too well. Check to see if that mesh is there (sorry my dad's 5th is long gone) I don't have a pic. The auto shop that warranteed the computer swore the mesh had something to do with the premature destruction of the leanburn computer. Go for the conversion.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
My 79 f has the 5 wire mopar chrome box (big ballast resistor) conversion. My Dad's 83 5th had the lean burn with a lifetime warranty on the replacement computer..... try to find that one folks. What he and I came up with was there was this flat wire mesh like a ground strap near the back of the engine. I noticed at some point after the 2nd replacement of the computer, that the mesh had deteriorated to almost not being there. I rigged up something with some thing from an electrical supply house, but that did not work too well. Check to see if that mesh is there (sorry my dad's 5th is long gone) I don't have a pic. The auto shop that warranteed the computer swore the mesh had something to do with the premature destruction of the leanburn computer. Go for the conversion.

like stated could be a i beleive its in the back of the head on pass side ground. u can buy the strap at most auto stores in the help section they have the oe looking mesh strap i used also like 8gauge and eyelets on my valiant

joemac1j

Reaction score
Check the reluctor gaps in the distributor. Had the trouble in a race car, starts when letting of the ign. key. Found the reluctor in the Mopar distributor to be off. I forget the gap, perhaps some one could provide this gap.
joemac1j

joemac1j

Reaction score
I used to work for Melrose Motors in Oakland, Calif. and Cooper Motors in Hayward.
joemac1j

Back