Tach hookup

MiradaCMX80

Reaction score
Stopped to get an Equus tach today. I was reading on an A-Body forum that hooking the tach lead to the coil negative can make the tach jumpy due to possible RF interference. The answer is to hook the tach lead into the grey wire on the distributor instead, and run the positive for the tach straight to battery. Can anyone confirm this or offer their setup tips? I wil say that my coil is on the passenger side, under the washer fluid bottle. Going to the dizzy would be a shorter run.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
Tachs on the coil have worked just fine for me. Either way I would test it before doing the final wiring.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Hook up the hot wire to the gauge circuit with everything else. Don't be one of those guys that has a dozen wires hooked up to the battery positive terminal.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
You can instal a 3 3/8” tach pretty easily in the gauge cluster.
2 1/16” gauges fit in the smaller pods.
EEC987D0-F878-498F-8BF2-DE7D7CA8E8B0.jpeg

MiradaCMX80

Reaction score
That looks good. My fuel gauge is wonky...if it turns out to be the gauge and not the sending unit, I'll do this.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
Well the speedometer fits right in and gives you a place to move the high beam indicator so you can put a 2 1/16 gauge in that position.
I mounted the 2 1/16 gauges in a piece of plexiglas shaped like the original gauge. The plastic behind it needs to be clearanced.
For the tachometer you need to locate the position and cut a hole in the back of the cluster with a small saw. ( X-acto) The circuit board has to be cut apart and spliced back together with jumper wires. The connector plugs need to be repositioned away from the back of the cluster for clearance. It really is a lot of work but as you can see it turned out pretty well.
I think the tach and speedometer are available in reproductions.

MiradaCMX80

Reaction score
Well the speedometer fits right in and gives you a place to move the high beam indicator so you can put a 2 1/16 gauge in that position.
I mounted the 2 1/16 gauges in a piece of plexiglas shaped like the original gauge. The plastic behind it needs to be clearanced.
For the tachometer you need to locate the position and cut a hole in the back of the cluster with a small saw. ( X-acto) The circuit board has to be cut apart and spliced back together with jumper wires. The connector plugs need to be repositioned away from the back of the cluster for clearance. It really is a lot of work but as you can see it turned out pretty well.
I think the tach and speedometer are available in reproductions.

Very cool. Definitely gives me some ideas to play with.

Back