The last nail in Auto Zone's coffin

ramenth

Reaction score
I usually stop into AZ just to grab chemicals. I haven't bought actual hard parts from them in years, not when I can get Moog, KYB, National, or any number of better parts across town from Advance or Napa and know that I'm shipping my customers out the door with good parts at good prices.

What I have done, though, is buy some specialized tools from AZ that I can't get any where else on the fly. One of these was a coolant system pressure tester adapter for the GM screw on radiator caps.

I was testing the coolant system on a customer's 3400powered GM on Monday to check for blown intake gaskets and had the pressure tester at just 15# of pressure when the adapter burst, hitting me upside the head.

Ummm, it couldn't take 15# of pressure, where most systems are set to run? What the f***?

I don't know what pissed me off more, that it came apart and hit me, or that it came apart and sprayed the engine with coolant when I'm trying to find a coolant leak.

The worst part of it is, I suffer from migraines, and a blow to the head can trigger one. My migraines can lead to strokes. (I've suffered one already.)

Come to find out, after looking at it, it looks like the tool pieces were just held together with weatherstrip adhesive.

AZ, the Wal-Mart of auto parts stores. Buy cheap, low-quality junk, sell cheap, low quality junk.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I usually stop into AZ just to grab chemicals. I haven't bought actual hard parts from them in years, not when I can get Moog, KYB, National, or any number of better parts across town from Advance or Napa and know that I'm shipping my customers out the door with good parts at good prices.

What I have done, though, is buy some specialized tools from AZ that I can't get any where else on the fly. One of these was a coolant system pressure tester adapter for the GM screw on radiator caps.

I was testing the coolant system on a customer's 3400powered GM on Monday to check for blown intake gaskets and had the pressure tester at just 15# of pressure when the adapter burst, hitting me upside the head.

Ummm, it couldn't take 15# of pressure, where most systems are set to run? What the f***?

I don't know what pissed me off more, that it came apart and hit me, or that it came apart and sprayed the engine with coolant when I'm trying to find a coolant leak.

The worst part of it is, I suffer from migraines, and a blow to the head can trigger one. My migraines can lead to strokes. (I've suffered one already.)

Come to find out, after looking at it, it looks like the tool pieces were just held together with weatherstrip adhesive.

AZ, the Wal-Mart of auto parts stores. Buy cheap, low-quality junk, sell cheap, low quality junk.
Lawyer up Robert...hecho en china

Back