There's no such thing as a "Y Body"

NoCar340

Reaction score
I know engineers don't always get it right... I was one for awhile. :icon_biggrin:

I actually thing the unsprung weight issue is pretty-much a wash if the disc conversion uses iron calipers. I did just such a conversion on a friend's 9" Ford using weld-on brackets and GM Metric calipers. It may have actually weighed more... but that was on a rock crawler, so braking effect may depend on only two of the wheels being on the ground. Fade certainly wasn't an issue with either setup.

ramenth

Reaction score
I know engineers don't always get it right... I was one for awhile. :icon_biggrin:

I actually thing the unsprung weight issue is pretty-much a wash if the disc conversion uses iron calipers. I did just such a conversion on a friend's 9" Ford using weld-on brackets and GM Metric calipers. It may have actually weighed more... but that was on a rock crawler, so braking effect may depend on only two of the wheels being on the ground. Fade certainly wasn't an issue with either setup.

It depends on the set up and parts as to unsprung weight. Sometimes it's a wash, sometimes it's an ounce for ounce swap.

I've had fade on the brakes on my F150 towing my 23' dovetail down 414 (2 mile long 7% grade with a red light at the bottom) hill. That's with two brake axles set at about 30% and me down shifting. Once the 427 goes in, the 9" will be getting disks. Oh, and everything on the truck as far as brakes is brand new, proper adjustments on the rears, everything silicone lubricated.

Back