Transmission cooler lines

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Wondering if anyone here has found a source for new o.e. trans cooler hard lines? I looked several places online with no success.One of my lines is damaged and didn’t want to chance it.I know I could get some An fittings, steel braided lines and go that route for cooler lines or get some length of straight lines and copy the old ones bend up etc.Summit did have some lines for early 70’s dart not sure if that would be workable with some modification?Thanks

volare 77

Reaction score
I can`t remember who I got them from for my volare. Try Dantes mopar parts. If they don`t list them he may still be able to get them.

88_AHB

Reaction score
Thanks guys,I ordered a set from inline.Should be here by the end of the week hopefully!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, transmission cooler lines.
There is three types/designs of cooler lines and two different transmission types.

The A727 (and A518 and other 4-speed versions based off the A727) are slightly different from the A904/A998/A999 (and A500 and other 4-speed versions of the A904). The difference is the exit/entry point of transmission and bent a bit differently due to shape of bell housing.
The cooler lines are somewhat soft and is not hard to bend. In many cases, it is not hard to bend them to fit between the two transmission types – but sometimes there is just not enough line to make it fit. If changing transmission types, I would say there is a 50/50 chance (based off existing experience) that existing transmission cooler lines will fit and work with some minor bending of existing lines or won’t fit.
I have installed transmissions both directions (A904 in place of A727 and vice versa).

Other versions of the transmission cooler lines are:
In early ‘80’s (not sure when) Chrysler went from having a nut/flare connector directly to the radiator to having a short piece of hose between the cooler lines and radiator.
Also, the police and HD towing packages got an external cooler mounted in behind the grill, and one cooler line is different, and a third line is added.

The rubber hose was added because of engine vibration. The vibration tends to crack the cooler lines, sometimes. The short rubber hoses (at radiator) eliminated that problem.

Now with what I said above, Chrysler changed the cooler lines each and every year. They either added a small bend here or routed it this way instead of that way.
The cooler lines on my ’77 wagon bends at the front of transmission, goes underneath the engine oil pan to passenger side of car, then goes to front of engine. Most of the cooler lines, they run along the engine oil pan flange, under the starter and on drivers’ side of engine.

Of all the transmission cooler lines I have worked with, from early ‘60’s to mid ‘90’s, a person can generally take the entire cooler line system (lines, fittings, brackets, etc.) and transfer it to any other car line through the years with a couple of exceptions:
- Rubber vs. nuts to attach to radiator
- /6, small block and big block won’t interchange without a ton of extra bending (pretty much the entire length) – so just not worth the effort.

I hadn’t had any issues interchanging cooler lines between different body’s before (when needed). I had stalled a ’74 New Yorker (C-body) cooler line into a big block A-body without any issue whatso ever (as well as other examples).

Transmission cooler lines are under low pressure (6-10 PSI) for non-lockups and much higher under pressure (80 PSI+) on lockup transmissions (which came out mid-year ’78).

It is time consuming, but I have even made a replacement cooler line myself, but it took me a few hours to do so. I do recommend purchasing a set if a set is needed.

https://www.inlinetube.com/pages/product-list?category=4839198639561824844#?f=47176767495174200|169870010550578016|&p=2
Part number PRT7801 (1976-80 Road Runner/Volare 360 727 5/16”, 2 piece) $55.00

https://www.manciniracing.com/maratrcoli2p12.html
Part number ILTBBT7401 (74-76 A-body small block) $45.00 (not an FMJ but should still work)
There might be other sources as well.

One piece of advice is if you are going to use robber to connect to radiator with (what I recommend) and you have a lockup transmission, I do highly recommend using a line that has a bubble end on it – to prevent the hose from popping off when at pressure.
Also, be sure to use rubber hose rated for higher pressure (ie: fuel injector hose, etc.) for regular 5/16” fuel hose can’t take the high pressure a lockup transmission tosses at it. A non-lockup transmission doesn’t care what kind of hose you use.

88_AHB, you might find one of the above sources to be a lot cheaper than making it as you have described.
Correction: i just saw that you did.
BudW

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I have the police cooler and lines in my car. Nice to have a factory fit.

88_AHB

Reaction score
So, I ordered 2 sets from inline tube..One for A body and one for a 76-80 volare both smallblock.I forget the part numbers from their site.The volare one is for a 727,now iam running a 318/904 setup.As you stated I might have to "modify" the shape a little bit.I do plan to use a small piece of rubber hose connecting from the hard lines to the radiator cooler.By what i can tell from all the parts I had prior is how it was ran in the car before this way.

Now the one question/worry is.. I forgot to put these lines in before installing the headers,starter,power steering etc.I was hoping not to have to remove too much to try and install these in the proper spot in between the drivers oil pan/motor mount/starter area etc.

Aspen500

Reaction score
F/M/J originally had the cooler lines attached to the radiator with rubber hoses. The A-body lines would most likely fit fairly good except they'll be made to attach directly with threaded fittings and tube nuts.
Cooler lines are more made for the engine and trans than the car, mostly. I used lines for a B-body with a 440/727 and they fit almost perfectly. Only near the radiator were they any different and of course, I had to cut them and form a nipple on the ends for hose instead of a double flare and tube nut.

Mirada Bill

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Wondering if anyone here has found a source for new o.e. trans cooler hard lines? I looked several places online with no success.One of my lines is damaged and didn’t want to chance it.I know I could get some An fittings, steel braided lines and go that route for cooler lines or get some length of straight lines and copy the old ones bend up etc.Summit did have some lines for early 70’s dart not sure if that would be workable with some modification?Thanks
I used A body trans lines for my Mirada took some massaging but ok make sure A body 904

XfbodyX

Reaction score
F/M/J originally had the cooler lines attached to the radiator with rubber hoses.

Huh? Not one of my 76-77-78 cars have or had rubber lines.

Here is that 6k org. mile 77. Although I was responsible for one or two having the rubber lines after I didnt pay attention in my youth and while removing them from the rad twisted them off.

GetAttachmentThumbnail (2).jpeg

DCAspen

Reaction score
1980 cars have rubber lines,Not sure about 79.

Aspen500

Reaction score
OK, I stand corrected. Hey, when you're wrong, you're wrong.:)
The radiator in my car used '79 tanks and side braces for a 360 with A/C when it was built by Glen Ray and had fittings for rubber lines on the cooler. So I ASSUME '79 used rubber hoses also(?)

80mirada

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if you can find both styles in 78 and 79, depending on options. Chrysler had a number of parts changes during that time that were option dependent

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t recall when Chrysler changed the radiator connector from double flare/nut design to rubber hose. I was thinking early ‘80’s, but it might have been ‘78/79ish.
If you have a stock brass radiator, it is not hard to convert the radiator to either style fitting type (nut/flare or hose fitting).

The main reason Chrysler went with rubber was because vibrations kept cracking the lines. The radiator is fixed, theand engine/transmission moves/vibrates, and the lines are stuck in the middle. When it went rubber, the cracks stopped occurring.

Now with that said, the metal lines do not leak (unless cracked). I can’t say the same with the rubber hoses.
BudW

Mirada Bill

Reaction score
My Mirada is a 1982 came with steel lines same material for 1977 Charger Daytona lines cracking of lines is usually from a week motor mount or trans mount. As they are designed as a safety mount after 73 on most models they still need the rubber bushing insert replaced from time to time .

Back