Transmission fluid leak

Milezero

Reaction score
I have a 79 M with a 904. Stupid question, but is it possible that if the lockdown linkage is adjusted incorrectly, it can cause the trans fluid to leak from the bell housing area? If an thing, I've got it "over-adjusted"

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It shouldn't.
Clean it up and see where it's coming from. Leaks from the shifter/kick down shafts and dipstick tube O ring can run along the transmission making it look like it could come from anywhere. If it's not from the pan or worse torque converter seal.

Aspen500

Reaction score
If it's coming out of the bell housing, it would be the front pump seal (aka torque converter seal).
Also, if the fluid level is too high, it'll blow out the vent, which is in the bell. Rarely the pump gasket can leak also, but it's uncommon on a TF. Pull the inspection plate and check for fluid IN the bell, just to be sure. Even more rare is a cracked converter hub.

beast340

Reaction score
as above pump seal, worse case the cheap crap converters, can slowly leak, and then blow out, cracked converter hub is not rare.factory converters were junk, my dodge dart, converter hub cracked and blew in 1999 on a road massive trans oil spill every were, if interested i can sell a rebuilt a 904 non lockup, 40k miles on it, deep pan, ready to bolt up, yes it was ato a 8.25 rear end, was from a 75 dart,

Back