Trunk lid cracking

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was curious if this issue is common amongst our cars. These two pics are just above the trunk hinges on the trunk lid.
I thought maybe because my car has a trunk popper and being an AHB car, using that often put added stress in this area?
I was planning on drilling the cracked ends and hopefully trying to weld the cracks.

trunkpic02.jpg

trunkpic01.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Never seen that before.
The trunk popper doesn't add any more stress then the lock does. It looks like it would have been closed on something or something physical had to start the damage to begin with.

88_AHB

Reaction score
Never seen that before.
The trunk popper doesn't add any more stress then the lock does. It looks like it would have been closed on something or something physical had to start the damage to begin with.
What I meant by that is the sudden, more violent opening of the trunk lid, rather than it easily opening with the key.

Last edited:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
What I meant by that is the sudden, more violent opening of the trunk lid, rather than it easily opening with the key.
Even that the damage would show up at the package shelf area first from the hinge hitting.
It shouldn't be flying open with that much force to begin with but it is a weak spot with the strange crinkles there so if the torsion bars are set too strong maybe it could cause some sort of damage there not just from opening but also the extra pressure in the opposite direction that would be needed to close it.

Rebel426

Reaction score
We had several of these cars when I was growing up and I never saw that. I have an 88 Gran Fury AHB and there's still an 87 5th Ave and 79 LeBaron sitting behind the house that don't have that problem either.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Never seen any M-body do that, maybe it was in an accident at some point and straighten out somehow? The whole area looks kinda warped

Back