Trying to learn about F Body Road Runners and Super Coupes

shooter65

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been a member on forcbodies only for a number of years, I've got a L code 69 Sport Fury. I've always liked the Super Coupes and Road Runners. I'd like to learn more about them, such as how to verify originality and what to look for if you're looking to purchase.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The big thing with F-bodies is they ALL were built with the (mandatory) factory installed rust option. The J and M-body, even though they use a lot of same core body parts, do a lot better with rust.

The Duster, Road Runner, R/T and such, were options (and not car lines). I have seen /6 Road Runners and plain appearing 360 powered F's. The VIN and fender tag are the two big clues. Around '75 or so, Chrysler quit putting build sheets in cars because of fire hazard - which is a big loss (compared to the older Mopars) on confirming data.
FMJ's are never going to have the value as the older ABC cars have - which is part of the reason I'm here.

The big thing is to check the frame rails for rust. Get under the car (if possible) and bring an ice pick or small screwdriver and start poking. The front and rear frame rails can be repaired or replaced (the newer M-bodies are a great source for core body parts) - but is a lot of work.
2015-12-11 14.11.04.jpg

L/F Frame rail (or whats left of it).
Frame Rail Rot.jpg

R/F frame rail (another forum member).

It either takes a K-frame or Schumacher engine mounts (if you can find 'em) to upgrade a /6 car to a small block. A bit more work to upgrade to a big block. A lot more work to upgrade to a new Hemi - but it is all doable. Many of these cars came with A833 4-speed w/Overdrive - so not hard to install one (if wanted) or an older A833 4-speed (without Overdrive).

The plastic grills (F-body) are maybe the most common sought after part - so it helps to find a car with one already intact.
If I ever wrecked my '77 wagon, I would be tempted to bolt on M-body fenders, hood and header and call it a day - for those parts are more common (and, for the most part, a straight bolt-on affair).

If you go looking for an FMJ, I would look up the engine and transmission fender tag codes before hand (or take a picture and post here). A quick look will tell you which transmission and engine the car came with.
20170619_094232.jpg

I looked at this car a while back for a fellow forum member, a few years back. Without even looking, I can tell this car is a '78 Volare (Low trim level) Wagon (45) with 225-2bbl (E26) and A904 (D31).
JW LeB Fender Tag.jpg

This is another forum members fender tag. This is a '79 Lebaron (High trim level) 2 door (22) with a 318 4-bbl (E46) and A998 (D32).
If you are not familiar with the A998 - it is a stronger version of the A904. The A999 is a stronger version of the A998. Not many FMJ's came with the A727 (mostly special ordered cars).

Hopefully this helps.
BudW
(who also has a U-code C-body)

droptop

Reaction score
Go to the F body general discussion here and you will find sticky’s with sales brochures for all years of Aspen and Volare models. In there you will find everything that is included in the Road Runner and R/T packages.

Back