Two Hoses From Carburetor to Canister - Remove Or Not?

Fox1809

Reaction score
On my 79 Volare Duster with Super Six there is a canister next to the radiator plastic container. There are three hoses attached to canister. One hose goes a short distance to a metal fuel line to vent the gas tank. The other two hoses are labeled "purge" and "car bowl" and both hoses go to the carburetor. I am considering leaving the canister in place and leaving the hose that vents the fuel tank and removing the two hoses that go over the valve cover to the carburetor to have less clutter and clean up the engine compartment. Would this cause some problems with the carburetor or how the engine runs or something else? The two plug ports would be capped off. Should the two canister ports be left open or capped off?

Addy87

Reaction score
On my 79 Volare Duster with Super Six there is a canister next to the radiator plastic container. There are three hoses attached to canister. One hose goes a short distance to a metal fuel line to vent the gas tank. The other two hoses are labeled "purge" and "car bowl" and both hoses go to the carburetor. I am considering leaving the canister in place and leaving the hose that vents the fuel tank and removing the two hoses that go over the valve cover to the carburetor to have less clutter and clean up the engine compartment. Would this cause some problems with the carburetor or how the engine runs or something else? The two plug ports would be capped off. Should the two canister ports be left open or capped off?

I would leave the vapor canister system alone, especially if your Duster has the "Lean Burn" computer on the side of the air cleaner housing. You may end up w/ poorer MPG and a vehicle that doesn't run well. If you live in an area that requires emissions testing, removing this will make the car fail inspection. This vapor system is federal mandated, so it's best to leave it alone.

Maggie Ann

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
its just a charcoal filter no big deal it used to recycle gas vapors and re burn them,not the greatest thing for a motor in my opinion ,,,but what ever you do dont cap off the one from the fuel line ,it needs to vent ,you could rupture a weak spot in your gas tank or you will get compression coming out at you and possibly fuel when you open the gas cap,trust me i know first hand i made the mistake

Aspen500

Reaction score
Just a note. The stock lean burn carb is calibrated assuming a certain amount of fuel vapor from the canister. Without it, you may run too lean. Ran into this all the time way back when. Either the customer took the hoses off (to get rid of all that "emissions crap") or it broke, whatever. Could cause a lean surge at light throttle cruise. Basically, a small part of the fuel/air mixture is actually the fuel vapor from the canister.

Like Ninja said, no matter what you decide to do, be sure the vent line from the tank is open. I've seen plugged vent lines cause the fuel tank to collapse from the vacuum created as fuel is used and no way for air to take up the space. Think of putting a vacuum cleaner on a plastic jug and turning it on. Same principle.

Back