Update on my '76 Volare

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been posting lately, life got in the way. The Volare still lives, it has a new water pump, radiator, thermostat, all new coolant hoses, and the A/C bypassed. It runs VERY nicely now, maybe even a little too cool but I'm not overly worried.

Next steps: Oil change (sorely needed), repair wiper motor (it makes noise but no movement in the blades), find and fix voltage leak, fix horn (the two may be related), and then aftermarket fun can be had! Though I do want to enjoy it (mostly) stock for a while before I start beefing it up. It also needs the typical rust repair, and some new upholstery inside, but I'm more concerned with getting the mechanical components sound first.

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
So apparently the wiper problem is very common, and is caused by a plastic bushing that breaks over time. A bitch to replace, but cheap. I'll probably get my friend to do the work, since I have problems with my right hand and don't have the dexterity required to get in there to fix it.

As far as the voltage leak goes, I had to buy a fuse puller, and by the time I got back, it was too dark to work. I really need a garage. Maybe on Monday I'll take a look at it. Fixing the horn shouldn't be a big deal, as long as it's not the switch in the steering wheel, but I'm pretty sure I can hear the relay click so I think it's somewhere else.

I bought a repair bible from Rock Auto, $80 was a bit painful but worth it if it's as detailed as they made it out to be. Should get here by the 29th, even though I hope to have everything fixed by then, weather permitting.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Good to hear things are coming along ... I had that same repair on my '80 for the wiper motor ... warmed the bushing up with a heat gun and it slipped right on ... right after that I had intermittent wiper's tho ... took the plug off at the motor and cleaned the rust off the prongs .. greased (dielectric) the plug and put it back on .. so far so good.

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
Good to hear things are coming along ... I had that same repair on my '80 for the wiper motor ... warmed the bushing up with a heat gun and it slipped right on ... right after that I had intermittent wiper's tho ... took the plug off at the motor and cleaned the rust off the prongs .. greased (dielectric) the plug and put it back on .. so far so good.
Thanks for the tip! I don't have a heat gun but I can always drop the bushing into boiling water or something.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I don't have a heat gun but I can always drop the bushing into boiling water or something.
Or use a hair dryer as I was advised .. it's too cold for that here but hot water would of also worked, but you're right about being all twisted up trying to install it .. but then my problem is heft. lol

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
Or use a hair dryer as I was advised .. it's too cold for that here but hot water would of also worked, but you're right about being all twisted up trying to install it .. but then my problem is heft. lol
That's the other reason why I'm getting a friend to do it... I'll pay him in food and beer, hopefully without a trip to the hospital to get bits of rust and 40 year old insulation removed from his eyes. Safety glasses are our friend.

I wanted to check the fuses today to track down the voltage leak, but it was WAY too cold. I might have to wait a while.

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
12630722_10153463196423915_2077751360_o.jpg

This is the Volare today :( I don't have a cover or garage space so it sits out in the snow. Ah well, we're planning on having it repainted anyway, I just hope snow and meltwater don't get in too much, the weather stripping is cracked and needs replacing.
--- Post updated ---
Well, the Volare is still thawing out, but I got the shop manual in! It's actually two volumes, one for electrical, and one big one for everything else. It's ridiculously detailed, and fairly well put together. I recommend it for anyone who plans on doing a lot of work on their car. A bit pricey but worth it.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Glad you got your shop manuals to enjoy while we all wait for Spring to come. I managed to find a set of original Mopar shop manuals and the two new car data books for my '78 Aspen wagon on EB. I enjoy just looking through them and thinking about when I will have the time to begin working on OY again. I'm fortunate to have a garage for OY, and every so often will go out there and start it up and just look it over. But, it doesn't leave the garage in winter or any kind of bad weather.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Those factory manuals are must haves.
Fear not. I'm sure she'll be fine. You can start dealing with the fallout from winter in the spring.

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
Those factory manuals are must haves.
Fear not. I'm sure she'll be fine. You can start dealing with the fallout from winter in the spring.
Yeah, I'm just concerned because I know how easily the '76 rusts. Though I'm sending it to a tech school to get the body work done some time in the future, let them deal with the rust. I don't have a welder anyway. The undercarriage actually looks remarkably good, most of the rust is on the body.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Just take your time and fix it up as you can. If it's only that rusted in 40 years, a few more years aren't likely to make that big of a difference. Nobody likes rust, but we've all seen MUCH worse. Really pretty little coupe!

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Nice !! .... yeah, I think it's better to keep it frozen rather than the freeze melt cycle we have here .. but garaged is best.

Back