Upholstery Help

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to re- upholster my headliner,sun visors and C- pillars. I've never attempted upholstery on this level and I'm looking forward to the project, so I have a list of questions in preparation.
The sun visors I'm fairly certain would had to be sewn on by a machine? What have you all used for adhesive spray for applying the headliner? I was going to use 3M's spray adhesive, but is there something better quality or longer lasting? I've cleaned as much as possible on the headliner but, there seems to have some residue still on it.I'm afraid to be too rough on it in fear of damaging it further. Any tips and tricks for preparing the headliner and gluing the headliner? I bought a few yards of material from SMS interiors and it matches my existing interior pretty well.

*** Another thing that I was curious about was my sunvisors. I believe they're correct for my 88 but for some reason I still think they came off of a fifth avenue or something.I didn't think a AHB packaged car would have vanity mirrors in both of them? Should the C- pillar inserts have a fiber board or something in front of or attached to the plastic backing? I would think If I just glued over the plastic with the fabric it wouldn't look right with the metal clips behind it and might protrude or tear the fabric later on. I'm including what pictures I have so far, I've been working on the headliner and had to repair some spots. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

thumbnail_IMG_0796.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0807.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0808.jpg

Master M

Reaction score
For the headliner, the upholstery shops in town use Landau top Adhesive. It holds up very well to heat.

Camtron

Reaction score
I used 3M adhesive remover and 3M headliner adhesive when I redid my pillar pieces. A good adhesive remover is a must, particularly one won’t leave a residue behind. The 3m adhesive remover dissolves quickly in air and turns the adhesive into a rubber that just brushes right off.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You need to use a spray adhesive made for headliners and high heat. Regular spray adhesive, like 3M Super 77, will kind of "melt" when the sun heats up the roof, and the fabric will start coming off.

There are fabrics made for headliners and the c-pillar panels, etc. It has an attached foam backing. Did my headliner with that type and it turned out nice for a first timer, and looks stock. Originally of course, it was just pressed hardboard or whatever they're made of with no covering.

Got all my upholstery materials from this place:
Surcolor Replacement Headliner Kits

The way the light hit, it looks like it's sagging but it's not.

DSCF0003.JPG

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Why would anyone use 3m Super 77 for headliner repair? That stuff is barely made for paper.
Heavy duty, high heat headliner adhesive is available from 3m as well as others.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Why would anyone use 3m Super 77 for headliner repair? That stuff is barely made for paper.
Heavy duty, high heat headliner adhesive is available from 3m as well as others.
I've seen guys use Super 77 to glue the headliner fabric. It SEEMS to work fine until,,,,,,,,,,,the car is in the hot sun a while and it all starts falling down.

88_AHB

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of 3M making an adhesive remover. For some reason I keep thinking that the C pillars need something covering over the plastic then the fabric on top of that. Sounds like it just needs good preparation and spray adhesive on the plastic then the fabric.

Justwondering

Reaction score
thats what I did.
Spray the pillar.
Spray the foam backing of the material.
Be patient.
Let it get tacky (I used contact cement).
Stick things together.
Big pieces, I did a section at a time.
I used the old pieces to determine how much extra I needed and where to cut 'easement' slits to go around curves.

Take
your
time.

JW

Back