Volare HVAC temperature cable question

VWagon

Reaction score
79 Volare - with AC. No vacuum at the blend valve under hood. Blamed a possible broken vacuum line but once I pulled the HVAC controls I found a broken cable from the temp control. Are these cables different between ac and non ac cars? Probably no aftermarket source?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The underhood hot water valve is either open or closed, depending on what mode the switch is on. The actual temperature control is based off of the cable.
The '79 A/C temp cable part p/n is 3842156.
On the case side of the cable, there is a weird adjusting clip that sometimes pops off. That Clip p/n is 6031132.

On no-A/C cars, the cable p/n is 3847103 for temp door, and 3847049 for mode door.

Note, the entire evaporator case (and firewall) changed from '76-79 to '80-89 and very little underdash A/C parts interchanges between the two year groups.

I hadn't seen any aftermarket sources for these cables - but plenty of good used ones and even a chance to find a NOS one somewhere.
BudW

VWagon

Reaction score
Thanks Bud! Big help as always. This cable is snapped unfortunately. EBAY searches turned up many for the NON AC. Email in to Marty...never know!

Back